Who doesn’t love a fabulous crepe breakfast, especially when served up with fresh fruit as the crepes are in this delicious Strawberry Buttermilk Crepes Recipe!
These thin delights are a perfect weekend breakfast treat, especially once the strawberries are in season.
As we are currently at our home away from home right now while my husband Ed works in the oilfields here in North Dakota, I had to work with a pan that was NOT my crepe pan.
Talk about frustration!
I’ve been making crepes since I was a teen in home economics class, this should have been an easy morning. I actually think half the crepes went into the trash can as I couldn’t get even my most flexible spatula to bend just right to flip the crepes without tearing them. But, I finally got enough for feeding the family a delectable breakfast and to share the recipe and photos here.
*Update May 2017: We not only have returned to Minnesota, but we also bought our new mini-farm and more importantly for this post – a new crepe maker. Love it! I finally have all of my cookware back, plus some. And no more torn crepes!
That said, I recommend a crepe pan for this but a non-stick skillet will work too. The lower the sides on the skillet, the better.
I also recommend refrigerating the batter for at least thirty minutes prior to cooking the crepes, especially with buttermilk crepes.
Serve with fresh, sliced strawberries and fresh whipped creme. Syrup or confectioners sugar are optional, and we also like to use a port wine reduction that we save from when we braise pears for some of our pear desserts.
Strawberry Buttermilk Crepes Ingredients
- Buttermilk or buttermilk alternative
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable Oil
Strawberry Buttermilk Crepes Recipe
- 1 c bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2/3 c buttermilk
- 2 eggs (large)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 c water (cold)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh, add more if you want!)
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, 1/3 c of the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk the ingredients until smooth (will be sticky and somewhat thick).
- Add the remaining 1/3 c of buttermilk, water, and oil and whisk until combined. The batter should be smooth, silky, and fairly thin. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat an 8" non-stick skillet or crepe pan to medium and ladle out the crepes onto the skillet in 1/4 c portions once heated fully. Roll the pan in a circular motion when pouring the crepe batter, so that the batter is dispersed quickly in a circular shape on the pan.
- Allow the crepe to cook for about a minute on each side, use a rubber spatula to loosen the crepe edges to flip the crepe once the first side is done. Serve with sliced strawberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or syrup (if desired).
- *If you're having problems with the crepes breaking, add flour in little portions of a tablespoon at a time. Also, I typically use a small towel with a light amount of oil to wipe the cooking surface clean between each crepe.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!