My tasty Leftover Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese combines all of my favorite flavors in a creamy pasta with a crunchy breadcrumb topping! Tender pieces of ham are tossed with broccoli, pasta and an easy from scratch cheese sauce to make this perfect quick dinner!
If you love ham, or always make way too much during the holidays, you'll love all of my leftover ham recipes! Try my hearty ham chowder!
Leftover Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese Recipe
I know, it's a long recipe name! But I wanted to convey every bit of the wonderful flavors that are combined in this super tasty ham and cheese casserole!
If you love a great baked mac and cheese, this is sure to be a favorite! It's also one of our top family favorite casseroles like my from scratch tuna noodle casserole and easy chicken divan casserole for easy weeknight dinners!
Ham and cheese aren't the only flavors here that belong together. The broccoli is the third part of my trifecta of the perfect ham dish! These classic flavors combine under a crunchy, buttery breadcrumb topping to make the perfect ham and broccoli casserole. Yum!
How To Make Leftover Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese
Start out your casserole by preparing your baking dish. A 9 x 13 glass or metal pan work, as well as 2.5 quart+ casserole dish or a Dutch oven. Use a non-stick cooking spray, cooking oil, or butter to grease your chosen baking dish.
Preheat your oven to 350 ºF ( 175 ºC ) and make sure your oven rack is placed in the center of the oven.
Cook your ziti according to the package instructions, but reduce the cooking time by approximately 2 minutes. You want to cook the pasta until an al denté texture is reached ( al denté = firm to the bite - not too cooked as the pasta continues cooking in the casserole ).
If you will be using fresh broccoli in your casserole, add it into the boiling water with the pasta for about the last two minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse with the pasta, then transfer to your baking dish.
If you will be using frozen broccoli, some come in steamable bags and this is great. Go ahead and set them as directed and cook in the microwave, otherwise set frozen broccoli out and allow it to thaw.
Make Your Cheese Sauce
While the pasta is cooking, bring a saucepan to medium heat and melt the butter. Add the minced or crushed garlic, milk, heavy cream, cubed cream cheese, and seasoning: nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Once the sauce has reached a medium temperature, you should see the cream cheese starting to melt into the sauce. Use a whisk to finish breaking the cream cheese down and incorporate into the sauce base.
Add grated or shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Stir to combine and until the cheese has melted completely.
When the sauce is ready, combine the ziti, broccoli and cubed ham in your baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over the ingredients and stir until everything is coated with the sauce.
Melt the second portion of butter in a microwave safe bowl on high setting for 15-20 seconds. Add the breadcrumbs and use a fork to combine until all of the breadcrumbs are coated and you have a crumbly appearance.
Spread or sprinkle the crumb topping over the casserole, then place in the center of your preheated oven. Cook for 30 - 35 minutes or until the topping is golden browned and the sides of the casserole are bubbly.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Leftover Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese
- 16 oz ziti (uncooked pasta)
- 4 tablespoon butter (divided - 2 tablespoon sauce, 2 tablespoon topping)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely minced or crushed)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 oz cream cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella (grated)
- 12 oz broccoli
- 2 cups ham (chopped or cubed)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and butter or spray your 9 x 13 baking dish, 2.5 qt casserole dish, or Dutch oven with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook ziti pasta according to the boxed directions, but remove the pasta 2 minutes earlier than the recommended cooking time (for an al dente texture).
- Make the sauce while cooking your pasta. Bring a saucepan to medium heat. Melt butter and add garlic, milk, heavy cream, seasoning (nutmeg, salt and pepper) and cubed cream cheese.
- Bring the sauce base to medium heat, whisk to incorporate the cream cheese. Add grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Stir until melted.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained and rinsed under cold water, transfer into the prepared baking dish. Add broccoli (thawed if using frozen), chopped ham, and cheese sauce. Stir to combine.
- In a small microwave safe dish, melt the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter. Add the breadcrumbs to dish and combine using a fork until crumbly in appearance. Spread buttered breadcrumb over combined pasta.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-35 minutes, or until top is golden and casserole is bubbling around the sides. Remove from oven and serve.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think: