This super moist Chocolate Banana Cake with a peanut butter cream cheese frosting combines all of my family's favorite flavors! The light cake is full of chocolate and banana richness without being an overly sweet dessert, perfect for baking up all the time!!
Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
This light chocolate cake is filled with delicious fruity banana flavor and is the perfect use of overripe bananas! Top it with my favorite peanut butter cream cheese frosting and you have delightfully light cake, with a relatively low sugar frosting that is a dessert you can serve all the time!
My family is absolutely in love with the whole peanut butter - chocolate - banana flavor combination, so this simple 9 x 13 cake is requested more times than I can count! I love that everything I need is always available in my pantry!
I'm using a one bowl method to keep this moist and flavorful cake quick and easy too! Mash your bananas and get ready to enjoy this dessert snack cake in no time at all!!
How To Make Chocolate Banana Cake
Start out with preheating your oven to 350ºF ( 175ºC ) and coating a 9 x 13 baking pan with butter, oil, or a non-stick baking spray.
Make the Cake Batter
In a large mixing bowl, mash the browned bananas using a fork. Mash the bananas until they are pretty finely broken up and there are no large chunks remaining.
Stir in the wet ingredients including: eggs, milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract. The batter will be VERY wet until the flour is added.
Next, stir in the cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine, then add flour and stir until the flour is thoroughly incorporated. If the bananas were mashed finely, there should be no large clumps in the finished batter.
Transfer your chocolate banana cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Tamp the pan on the counter if needed to spread out the batter into an even layer.
Bake the Cake
Transfer your cake pan to the center rack of the preheated oven and bake at 350ºF ( 175ºC ) for 20 - 25 minutes. The cake is done when a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from your oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Cool the cake completely if you will be frosting the cake, otherwise it can be sliced and served while still slightly warm!
The chocolate banana cake comes free of the baking pan easily. Use a sheet of parchment paper on the top of the cake with a cooling rack on top of the paper, then flip the cake onto the cooling rack. You can flip it back, if desired, to face right side up using a secondary cooling rack.
Mix your frosting as directed, or use your favorite store bought frosting. Spread icing or frosting over the top of the cake using an offset spatula until you have an even layer of frosting over your cake. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Cake
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 3 large bananas (overripe)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ cup coconut oil (or unsalted butter, melted)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 peanut butter cream cheese frosting (or your favorite frosting)
- Start by preheating you oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and coating your 9 x 13 baking pan with butter or non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to mash the overripe bananas.
- Add the eggs, milk, coconut oil, vanilla, cocoa, baking powder, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the flour, stirring until the flour is thoroughly incorporated (it will be a runny batter with small lumps once the flour is combined well).
- Pour batter in to a 9x13 greased cake pan and place in oven on the center rack. Bake a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!