This easy Blackberry and Apple Pie is loaded with amazing sweet and tangy flavors from tender apples and plump blackberries! Every bite is packed with delicious spiced fruit flavors from the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice!
My tasty apple and blackberry pie is a tangy twist on the classic Americana apple pie!
It's a traditional classic British dessert, and another great way to use up your fall fruits! I'm a blackberry fan and enjoy the combination of blackberry and apple, like in an Apple Blackberry Crumble.
The soft, tender chunks of apple take in the blackberry juices for a truly wonderful overall flavor. Package all of the fruit flavors in a flaky all butter pie crust and you have a winning combination!
- Butter Pie Crust - Or store bought pie crust enough for top and bottom.
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- Honeycrisp Apples - Gala, Braeburn or any tart apple can substitute.
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Allspice - Or ground cloves.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
This fruit pie is made using a double crust. You can use store bought pie crusts, just make sure to roll them out if needed to fit your 8 - 9 inch pie pan or baking dish.
To start out preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
Prepare the Pie Dough
I'm using my butter pie crust recipe which is a double crust recipe as it is. Roll both of the portions of dough out to about 12 inch rounds, starting with the bottom crust.
Transfer the rolled pie crust dough into your baking dish by rolling it up onto a rolling pin, then lifting gently over the baking dish. Unroll the transferred pie dough over the pie pan, letting the excess fall into the dish.
Make the Blackberry and Apple Spiced Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples and washed blackberries with lemon juice and lemon zest. Turn the fruit gently to coat with the lemon juice.
Combine the corn starch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt in a small bowl. Transfer to the bowl of fruit, then stir the fruit and spices gently again. Once the fruit is well coated, roll out your top crust portion of the pie dough.
Fill and Seal the Double Crust Pie
Transfer the fruit filling into your prepared bottom crust, then use cold water along the bottom crust edges for sealing the pie.
Roll the top crust portion of dough onto your rolling pin and transfer to the pie. Use your fingers to flute or crimp the pie edges to seal, pressing the edges together firmly. Cut several vents in the top crust to vent the pie while baking.
Bake the Blackberry Apple Pie
Transfer your pie to the center rack of your oven and bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for about 60 minutes. *You can place your pie on a baking sheet or sheet of aluminum foil, to catch any overflowing juices during baking.
I typically check my pie at the 40 minute mark to see if my crust is browning on the edges too deeply. If you want to keep the edges from browning, use a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil shaped around the edges.
Your pie is done when the crust is a golden browned color and the filling is bubbling from the steam vents. Remove the baked blackberry and apple pie from your oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Allow the pie to cool for about two hours before serving with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
🍎 More Delicious Fruit Dessert Ideas:
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- 1 butter pie crust (or store bought pie crust enough for top and bottom)
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- 4 cups honeycrisp apples (peeled and chopped - Gala, Braeburn or any tart apple can subsitute)
- 2 cups blackberries
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 5 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice (or ground cloves)
- 1 juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Preparing your pie dough
- Prepare your bottom layer of pie dough pie crust in a 9" pie pan. *If using freshly made dough, you will need to roll out your dough both top and bottom to 12" rounds.
Making the filling and baking
- In a large mixing bowl add the blackberries, apple and lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix gently.
- In a small bowl add in the cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the dry mixture into the fruit and gently mix together being sure that all the fruit pieces are coated well.
- Transfer the fruit mixture into the pie crust.
- Top pie with the second pie crust and use a fork or your fingers to flute or crimp the edges together. Cut several slits into the top dough to allow venting.
- Bake the pie in the center of the oven for approximately 60 minutes (if the edges start to brown excessively wrap with strips of aluminum foil around the edges of the pie) or until pie reaches a nice golden brown color and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack allow to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!