This easy blackberry and apple pie is loaded with amazing sweet and tangy flavors from tender apples and plump blackberries! Every bite is packed with delicious spiced fruit flavors from the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice! You won't have any leftovers from this pie!
Easy Blackberry and Apple Pie
My tasty apple and blackberry pie is a tangy twist on the classic Americana apple pie! It's a traditional classic British dessert, and another great way to use up your fall fruits! I'm a blackberry fan and enjoy the combination of blackberry and apple, like in an Apple Blackberry Crumble.
The soft, tender chunks of apple take in the blackberry juices for a truly wonderful overall flavor. Package all of the fruit flavors in a flaky all butter pie crust and you have a winning combination!
- Easy Blackberry and Apple Pie
- 🥘 Blackberry and Apple Pie Ingredients
- 🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
- 💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- ❓ How Do You Keep An Apple And Blackberry Pie From Being Runny?
- ❓ What Are The Best Apples For An Apple And Blackberry Pie?
- ❓ Will My Apple and Blackberry Pie Thicken As It Cools?
- 🍎 More Delicious Fruit Desserts!
- 📋 Recipe
🥘 Blackberry and Apple Pie Ingredients
This recipe uses typical baking spices as well as some fresh apples and blackberries. You can pick up some pie crust as well if you're not wanting to make your own!
- Pie Crust - 1 butter pie crust (try my homemade butter pie crust, or use a store-bought pie crust, making sure you get enough for top and bottom).
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- Apples - 4 cups of peeled and chopped Honeycrisp apples (Gala, Braeburn, or any tart apple can substitute).
- Blackberries - 2 cups of blackberries.
- Brown Sugar - ½ cup of packed brown sugar.
- Cornstarch - 5 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Cinnamon - ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Nutmeg - ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Allspice - ¼ teaspoon of allspice (or ground cloves).
- Lemon - juice, and zest from 1 lemon.
- Salt - 1 pinch of salt.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts, & instructions!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
This pie is simple to make, whether you use my butter pie crust recipe or use store-bought crust! All you will need is a 9-inch baking dish, a rolling pin, and a mixing bowl.
This pie makes 8 servings, so it is perfect for a get-together or you can save the yummy leftovers!
Prepare the Pie Dough
- Preheat. To start, preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Roll out the dough. Roll both of the portions of dough out to about 12-inch rounds, starting with the bottom crust.
- Transfer the dough. Transfer the rolled pie crust dough into your baking dish by rolling it up onto a rolling pin, then lifting gently over the baking dish. Unroll the transferred pie dough over the pie pan, letting the excess fall into the dish.
Make the Blackberry and Apple Spiced Filling
- Add lemon juice. In a large mixing bowl, combine the 4 cups of sliced apples and 2 cups of washed blackberries with the lemon juice and lemon zest from 1 lemon. Turn the fruit gently to coat with the lemon juice.
- Add the seasonings. Combine the 5 teaspoons of corn starch, ½ cup of brown sugar, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon of allspice, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Next, add the spices to the bowl of fruit, then stir gently again. Once the fruit is well coated, roll out your top crust portion of the pie dough.
Fill and Seal the Double Crust Pie
- Place fruit in the pie. Transfer the fruit filling into your prepared bottom crust, then use cold water along the bottom crust edges for sealing the pie.
- Add the top crust. Roll the top crust portion of dough onto your rolling pin and transfer it to the pie. Use your fingers to flute or crimp the pie edges to seal, pressing the edges together firmly. Cut several vents in the top crust to vent the pie while baking.
Bake the Blackberry and Apple Pie
- Bake. Transfer your pie to the center rack of your oven and bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for about 60 minutes. (You can place your pie on a baking sheet or sheet of aluminum foil, to catch any overflowing juices during baking).
- Remove. Once the crust is a golden browned color and the filling is bubbling from the steam vents, it is done. Remove the baked blackberry and apple pie from your oven and transfer it to a wire cooling rack.
- Serve. Allow the pie to cool for about two hours before serving.
To make this blackberry and apple pie even more delicious, add on a dollop of whipped cream and serve it with a scoop of ice cream! Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- This fruit pie is made using a double crust. You can use store-bought pie crusts, just make sure to roll them out, if needed, to fit your 8 - 9 inch pie pan or baking dish.
- I check my pie at the 40-minute mark to see if my crust is browning on the edges too deeply.
- If you want to keep the edges from browning, use a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil shaped around the edges.
- To Store: Either place your pie into an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap before placing it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat: Preheat your oven to 350ºF (177ºC) and bake the pie for about 15 minutes.
❓ How Do You Keep An Apple And Blackberry Pie From Being Runny?
Fruit-based pies become runny when there is too much liquid in the fruit filling. Cornstarch is used as a thickening agent in order to prevent your pie from becoming runny and soggy. So, don't forget to use it!
❓ What Are The Best Apples For An Apple And Blackberry Pie?
There are a ton of different kinds of apples and, believe it or not, they do make a difference when making a pie! Some apples are too soft to withstand the baking process and become mushy (like Gala and Red Delicious apples). My favorites to use are Honeycrisp, Gala, Braeburn, Crispin, and Pink Lady!
❓ Will My Apple and Blackberry Pie Thicken As It Cools?
If your pie seems slightly watery when you first take it out of the oven, don't worry! It will thicken as it cools off (especially if you used the 5 teaspoons of cornstarch in the recipe). This is why the pie needs to cool for 2 hours before serving.
🍎 More Delicious Fruit Desserts!
- Apple Blackberry Crumble
- Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- Blackberry Crisp
- Blackberry Cream Pie
- Pear Crisp
- Plum Cake
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- 1 butter pie crust (or store bought pie crust enough for top and bottom)
Blackberry and Apple Pie
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Preparing your pie dough
- Prepare your bottom layer of pie dough pie crust in a 9" pie pan. *If using freshly made dough, you will need to roll out your dough both top and bottom to 12" rounds.
Making the filling and baking
- In a large mixing bowl add the blackberries, apple and lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix gently.
- In a small bowl add in the cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the dry mixture into the fruit and gently mix together being sure that all the fruit pieces are coated well.
- Transfer the fruit mixture into the pie crust.
- Top pie with the second pie crust and use a fork or your fingers to flute or crimp the edges together. Cut several slits into the top dough to allow venting.
- Bake the pie in the center of the oven for approximately 60 minutes (if the edges start to brown excessively wrap with strips of aluminum foil around the edges of the pie) or until pie reaches a nice golden brown color and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack allow to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!