These easy-to-make Peanut Butter Banana Brownies are delightfully chewy with a crispy topping and absolutely packed with great flavors! The peanut butter swirl topping crisps up wonderfully, and perfects the trifecta of flavors in each and every bite!
Beautifully marbled banana brownies combine a trio of tasty flavors!
Just when you thought regular brownies were your go-to guilty pleasure, the gooey goodness just got even more decadent. My peanut butter banana brownies are fudgy and rich – all you want in a brownie, and then some.
The addition of peanut butter and bananas to this classic treat takes the taste up a notch, adding creaminess and chewiness that is both addictive and delicious!
If you are a fan of the perfect peanut butter and chocolate combination, just imagine how sweet bananas will transform the duo into something even more delectable.
I love making these brownies for friends and family, and I always stash away a few for myself to enjoy. “Chocoholics” will devour these treats like there’s no tomorrow, and I can’t blame them - they are extraordinary!
As far as ingredients go, this brownie recipe is simple and straightforward. Sometimes it is the most basic of ingredients that come together to create something magical.
- Bananas (over-ripe, browned bananas) – The more browned the better! As your bananas turn brown, the sugar content (and therefore the sweetness) gets higher making them absolutely perfect for baked sweets!
- Sugar – Not only balances the bitter cocoa but also makes your brownies tender and light. (Optional) Using a light brown sugar combo adds a rich caramel note and makes brownies chewier - try ¾ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup brown sugar for a real treat.
- Butter (melted) – Not only adds richness but also keeps your brownies nice and moist! Using butter also helps brownies rise best, so if you like cake brownies swap butter for the oil next time.
- Vanilla Extract – You can never have enough vanilla extract! It not only adds a great flavor of its own but also enhances the other ingredient flavors.
- Salt – Just a pinch for balancing the sweetness. This is another ingredient that makes other flavors really shine in baking and cooking!
- All-Purpose Flour – The base for baking that gives your brownies and baked treats structure.
- Cocoa Powder – Using cocoa powder keeps the balance of flour and wet ingredients, fats, etc just right in these chewy brownies!
- Peanut Butter (creamy) – Regular, creamy peanut butter works best for making the swirls in these brownies. Skippy, JIF, or a generic brand.
Making peanut butter banana brownies isn’t complicated, but you will need to be sure you have the following equipment:
- 9x3 baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Small microwave-safe bowl (if your peanut butter is refrigerated)
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- The longer you bake your brownies, the more 'set' they will be. Slightly under-baked yields fudgier brownies. I prefer my brownies super fudgy, so I tend to under-bake.
- Your brownies actually taste better after a day of storing! I know, it's hard to wait after smelling the aroma of freshly baked goods 🙂 Enjoy some now and you can look forward to more amazing brownies later!
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
Making these peanut butter banana brownies is not complex. The results will have folks thinking they’re from the bakery, and you’ll love sharing the marbled brownies!
This recipe takes about 40 minutes from start to finish and yields 16 servings, but you can cut your brownies larger or smaller as desired. Make another batch if you need more.
- Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and thoroughly grease a 9x13 baking pan with butter, oil, or non-stick cooking spray.
(Optional - if your peanut butter is refrigerated) - In a small bowl, add ½ cup creamy peanut butter and place in the microwave. In short bursts of 15-30 seconds, heat the peanut butter just enough to make it soft and spreadable. Set aside.
Otherwise, use a room temperature portion without microwaving.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, mash 2 over-ripe bananas, then add 1 ¼ cups sugar, ½ cup melted butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Stir these ingredients until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients. Sift in ¾ cup all-purpose flour and ¼ cup cocoa powder. Fold in without over-mixing so the brownies don’t get tough.
- Transfer the batter. Once combined, pour the brownie mixture into your greased 9x13 baking pan. To even out the batter, use a spatula or tip the pan back and forth until the mixture settles evenly.
- Add the peanut butter. By the spoonful, add the ½ cup room temperature or softened creamy peanut butter throughout the top of the brownie mixture in the pan, and use a butter knife to swirl in the peanut butter. *Don’t overmix, as you’ll want to see and taste the swirls in the cooked brownies. Be sure to space them out so every brownie has some peanut butter.
- Bake. Place the baking pan into your 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out “clean” - without wet batter stuck to it.
- Cool the brownies. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool completely before slicing and serving.
If you want to serve your brownies while warm, I suggest topping with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (melting magic!) and some chocolate syrup. Of course, they'll slice best once fully cooled.
You can also make ice cream sandwiches by slicing the brownies lengthwise, so they aren’t too thick. Otherwise, a cold glass of milk does the trick. Enjoy!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Store your peanut butter banana brownies in an airtight container on your countertop for up to 4 days. Place a sheet of parchment paper between brownie layers when stacking to keep them from sticking to each other.
You can also simply cover your baking pan with plastic cling film wrap or a sheet of aluminum foil. Alternatively, to keep individual brownies super fresh (and ready to enjoy on the go or as part of school lunch) you can wrap the brownies in cling film.
Package your brownies into a freezer-safe container or freezer storage bag to store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Place a portion of your peanut butter into a microwave-safe dish and heat on high in 15-30 second increments until smooth. Stir the peanut butter between heating increments.
My creamy peanut butter is usually spreadable in 45 seconds to a minute, and natural peanut butter usually takes a few seconds more.
Simply cover and store either homemade or bakery brownies at room temperature for up to 4 days. Your brownies will stay fresh when stored in an airtight container, covered with plastic cling film, or covered with aluminum foil as long as they are well-sealed.
Peanut Butter Banana Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease a 9x13 baking pan with butter, oil, or non-stick cooking spray.
- (optional - if your peanut butter is refrigerated) In a small bowl add peanut butter and place in microwave. In short bursts of 15-30 seconds heat peanut butter just enough to make it soft and spreadable. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the over ripe bananas, then add the 1 ¼ cups sugar, ½ cup melted butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Next sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Fold in without over-mixing.
- Once combined, pour the brownie mixture into your prepared 9x13 baking pan.
- Add spoon fulls of the ½ cup room temperature or softened creamy peanut butter and then use a butter knife to swirl in the peanut butter.
- Place baking tray into your 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out without wet batter. *The longer you bake your brownies the more 'set' they will be. Slightly under-baked yields fudgier brownies.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!