My easy homemade Catalina dressing is wonderful on most salads and tastes way better than the store-bought stuff! This delicious dressing is the perfect combination of tangy and sweet and you only need a few simple ingredients!
This homemade Catalina dressing is so delicious, you'll never buy it at the store again!
I love a good Catalina dressing. It's wonderful on salads, but it can also be used in marinades, to garnish burgers, on cold pasta salads, the list goes on and on!
Catalina is light and fresh compared to many other dressings due to its vinegar and oil base. This dressing has a nice balance of tangy and sweet, and it's versatile enough that you can easily make adjustments to suit your preferences.
I often make a large batch of Catalina to keep in the fridge so that we always have some on hand. It's so easy to throw together, you will wonder why you haven't always been making your own dressing!
I don't know about you, but I always have these simple ingredients stocked in my kitchen. If you do have to buy a few things, you will surely use them again for other recipes (or to make more Catalina dressing!)
- ½ cup Red Wine Vinegar - If you don't have red wine vinegar, take a look at some substitutions.
- ⅓ cup Ketchup - Just regular ol' ketchup. If you're concerned about added sugar, sugar-free ketchup will also work.
- ⅓ cup Honey - The honey is important. Not only does it provide sweetness, but it also gives the dressing some density.
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce - There are some alternatives you can use in a pinch but the flavor of Worcestershire sauce is very distinct, so it will slightly alter the taste.
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce - Soy sauce adds some saltiness, so wait to the end before you add salt to taste.
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika - The smokey flavor of smoked paprika is wonderful and distinct. You may use normal paprika, but if you have access to smoked I highly recommend it.
- Seasoning - For this dressing, you will need ½ teaspoon of onion powder, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
- ½ cup Olive Oil - Extra virgin olive oil is my preferred oil. Use your preferred oil if desired.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
You are only 3 easy steps away from your delicious homemade salad dressing. All you need is a blender!
- Puree. To begin, add all ingredients except the olive oil and salt & pepper to a blender (½ cup red wine vinegar, ½ cup ketchup, ⅓ cup honey, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce,1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder). Place the lid on the blender and puree.
- Add Oil. While the blender is pureeing at a low speed, open the vent in the blender's lid and slowly pour in the olive oil until well integrated. Taste the dressing and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Store. Store Catalina dressing in an airtight container, jar, or bottle in the refrigerator.
This delightful dressing can be used in so many ways, my favorite being my delicious Doritos taco salad. If you like it spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Catalina dressing should always be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated, it will stay fresh for 1 month.
I do not recommend freezing this dressing, as the ingredients will separate.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
- To begin, add all ingredients except the olive oil and salt & pepper (red wine vinegar, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder) to a blender. Place the lid on the blender and puree.½ cup red wine vinegar, ⅓ cup ketchup, ⅓ cup honey, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- While the blender is pureeing at a low speed, open the vent in the blender's lid and slowly pour in the olive oil until well integrated. Taste the dressing and add salt & pepper to taste.½ cup olive oil, each, salt & pepper
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a month.
- White wine vinegar can substitute the red wine vinegar if needed.
- For a little spice, add some red pepper flakes.
- I personally prefer to use olive oil or coconut oil for almost all cooking, however, you may use your favorite oil in this recipe.
- If you do not have a blender, use a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. First, add all wet ingredients and shake vigorously until combined. Then, add all dry ingredients and shake once more.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!