My homemade blueberry pie is unbelievably delicious with the perfect fruit-to-sauce ratio and just enough sweetness! The filling is so versatile, it can also be used on ice cream, pancakes, yogurt, and so much more!
My blue-ribbon-ready blueberry pie is full of luscious, juicy blueberries blanketed in a buttery, flaky crust – it’s simply divine!
If it’s your first time baking a pie, my homemade blueberry pie is the perfect place to start! It’s an easy, straightforward recipe that requires very little effort or cleanup.
Juicy blueberries get tossed with sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and cinnamon to make an amazing filling. The blueberries get all wrapped up in a buttery crust and baked to perfection!
I love to use fresh, ripe blueberries for this recipe, but you can easily use frozen blueberries. No matter what you use, the blueberries bake up in a thick, sweet, and gooey filling that tastes absolutely amazing. All it needs is a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top!
Making a pie from scratch is so much easier than it seems! I have tips and tricks to help you make an incredible, diner-worthy pie. Everyone will be so impressed – including you!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
A Perfect Pie! This pie is an absolute delight! The crust is beautifully crisp, and the filling is perfectly sweet!
A Versatile Filling! You can make this pie filling and use it on just about any dessert you want!
A Simple Recipe! My pie recipe is absolutely fuss-free! You’ll be so amazed at how easy it is to make!
I keep this simple blueberry pie recipe easy with no fancy ingredients! Not the season for fresh blueberries? You can easily substitute frozen!
- 1 cup Sugar – Use granulated white sugar here to help sweeten and set our blueberries!
- 6 tablespoons Cornstarch – Cornstarch mixed with sugar helps to set the blueberries to make a perfectly sliceable pie!
- 1 large Lemon – Zest and juice the lemon for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use 2 to 3 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice for the pie.
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon – I love the rich, spicy-sweet flavor the ground cinnamon gives to the pie filling.
- 1 pinch Salt – We just need a pinch of salt to help balance all the flavors of the pie!
- 6 cups Blueberries – Fresh is best in my opinion, but you can easily use frozen, thawed blueberries instead!
- 1 9-Inch Butter Double Pie Crust – Make my easy recipe or use a store-bought crust!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
The only special equipment this easy homemade blueberry pie needs is a pie plate! You can easily use a store-bought foil pie plate if you don’t already have one.
- Prepare. To start, preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C). Then, zest and juice 1 large lemon, removing any seeds.
- Combine filling ingredients. While the oven preheats, in a large mixing bowl, combine the filling ingredients: 1 cup of granulated white sugar, 6 tablespoons cornstarch, the zest and juice of 1 large lemon, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1 pinch of salt. Stir to combine, then gently fold in 6 cups of fresh or frozen, thawed blueberries. Set aside.
- Roll out crust. Using the first half of your pie dough, roll out and place it into your 9-inch pie plate (reserve the other half to top the pie). Then, fill the crust with your blueberry mixture (stir the blueberry mixture again before adding to redistribute the cornstarch). Next, roll out the second crust and carefully top the pie. You can crimp the edges using your fingers or a fork, then cut 4 to 5 slits in the pie to allow steam to escape. Or, you can cut the top pie crust into 1-inch slits, then weave to create a lattice topping.
Bake, Cool & Serve
- Bake blueberry pie. Once you’ve prepared your pie, place it on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment to catch any dripping juice from the filling. Transfer the pie to the center of your oven’s middle rack and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 45-55 minutes.
- Cool and serve. Your pie is done when the crust is golden, and the filling is thickened and bubbly. Remove it from the oven, then allow to cool at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
My homemade blueberry pie is perfect enough to win any contest! A slice of this pie is absolutely delicious on its own – but who doesn’t want a big scoop of ice cream?
Serve this pie with a generous scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and let the magic happen. Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- If the pie begins to brown too much, you can cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil. Every oven is different, but for mine, I was able to bake the pie for the full 55 minutes at 400°F (205°C) without any burning.
- Try using a lattice cutter! If you prefer a lattice topping, I recommend using a lattice cutter with fluted edges to make cutting even, pretty strips so easy!
- Using frozen blueberries? Make sure to thaw them first! After thawing, drain away the liquid that will collect in the bag. More juice will be drawn out when you add sugar, so you don’t want the pie to get too liquidy!
- Can’t find cornstarch? Try using potato starch! Potato starch is another great thickener for fruit pies that can be substituted in an equal amount.
- Make sure to mix the filling before adding it to the crust! Starch tends to sink to the bottom when the filling sits so make sure you stir the filling very well, scraping the bottom if necessary.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Depending on your preference, fruit pies can be stored wrapped in a layer of plastic cling film at room temperature or in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
You can easily store this delightful blueberry pie in your freezer for up to 6 months! Make sure to first wrap the cooled pie in two layers of plastic cling film or a layer of plastic cling film and a sheet of aluminum foil.
Let the pie thaw in your fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating Blueberry Pie
The best way to reheat a pie is in the oven! Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), then place the unwrapped pie on a lined baking sheet. Then, put the pie into your oven and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the pie is heated through and bubbly. Make sure to let it cool down before serving.
🥧 More Delicious Fruit Pies!
Starch is needed in a pie to help the fruit juices thicken! The heat of your oven causes the starch to bond with the water and sugar to create a network of starch that transforms the blueberries mixture into a thickened, cohesive filling.
If you don’t use starch in a pie, the filling will be watery and unable to be sliced properly!
Sure! But don’t use the canned stuff – make my easy blueberry pie filling recipe instead!
You can make the filling ahead of time and you can easily turn it into this fantastic pie! I love freezing pie filling and pie dough so that I can make a quick homemade pie for any occasion.
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and zest the lemon.1 large lemon
- While the oven has preheats, grab a large mixing bowl and mix together the sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest & juice, cinnamon, and salt. Then gently fold in your blueberries until combined.1 cup sugar, 6 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 large lemon, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 pinch salt, 6 cups blueberries
- Roll and place half of the crust into your pie plate (reserving the other half to top the pie). Fill the crust with your blueberry mixture and top with the remaining crust. Cut 4 or 5 slits in the pie crust to allow steam to escape OR cut the top half of your crust into 1-inch strips and create a lattice by weaving them across your pie.1 9" butter pie crust
- Place your pie on a baking sheet to catch any messy drippings then transfer to the center rack and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 45-55 minutes.
- Your pie is done when the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. Remove it from the oven then allow to cool at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
- If your pie begins to brown too much, you can cover it with foil.
- A lattice cutter may also be used rather than cutting the pie crust into strips.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!