These incredibly easy to make Yukon Gold Gruyere Swiss Cheese Smashed Potatoes are one of my favorite potato dish treats! Fantastic flavors are easily piled onto these tasty potatoes to make the perfect side dish for any meal!
You may ask 'What's so special about smashed potatoes?'
For us, it's the combination of soft mashed potato texture and baked crispness...and they're easy, you can make them by boiling your potatoes whole or microwaving the potatoes.
Once cooked, (slightly) smash the potatoes on a baking sheet keeping them in one piece and top with seasoning.
After your smashed potatoes are baked, they will have super fluffy soft potato insides with crispy edges! *PS...they pan fry for excellent breakfast potatoes too!!
You can use whatever potatoes you prefer, but don't be shy with the turmeric...it's just made for potato seasoning!!
You Might Also Like These Other Potato Side Dishes...
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Au Gratin Potatoes with Diced Ham
- Homemade Hash Brown Potatoes From Scratch
- Parmesan Thyme Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Baked Beef Back Ribs
- Lamb Breast
Yukon Gold Gruyere Swiss Cheese Smashed Potatoes
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- to taste salt, pepper, and turmeric
- ½ c Gruyere Swiss cheese (grated)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked, crumbled)
- to taste sour cream (optional, garnish)
- to taste green onions (optional, sliced, garnish)
- Cover the potatoes in a large pot with just enough water to cover all of the potatoes, add salt, and bring to a boil. Boil your Yukon Gold potatoes until tender when forked (about 15 minutes), then remove from heat and drain the water.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Coat your baking sheet with olive oil (about 2 Tbsps) or line with parchment paper, then place your potatoes on the baking sheet. Using a masher, press down on each potato to flatten them out, but without breaking the potatoes apart. I usually mash once, then turn the masher 90 degrees to mash in an opposite direction.
- Once flattened, season the potatoes with salt, pepper, and turmeric then top your Yukon Gold potatoes with the grated Gruyere Swiss cheese and crumbled bacon. Bake at 450 degrees F for 30-45 minutes (depending on the size of your potatoes). Once you can see golden crispy edges, your potatoes are ready to serve. Garnish with optional sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!