We use this slow cooker pulled pork recipe frequently, and we are always rewarded with such amazing results!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
Optional things we like to add at times include pineapple juice, mustard, crushed red pepper flakes, and liquid smoke. But I love paprika...so you can bet that's in there!
We start out with combining our spices for the rub first. In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon portion of the light brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Rub this mixture all over the pork cut, coating it evenly and making sure to get all surface areas.
It is optional at this point to wrap your pork roast (pork shoulder, pork butt, etc) in cling film and refrigerate overnight.
The flavor is intensified, wow!!
If you do refrigerate your seasoned pork cut, bring it back to room temperature (if possible) before moving on to pan searing.
In a large frying pan or skillet add vegetable oil and bring to a medium high heat, sear all sides of the pork cut until nicely browned, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the browned pork to a plate and set aside.
Add water, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, and the remaining 2 tablespoon of light brown sugar to the drippings (plus optional honey, if desired) in the large skillet or frying pan that you used to brown the pork.
Whisk or stir all of the ingredients together until you have a thin sauce.
Allow the sauce to come to a low simmer, then transfer the sauce into your crockpot. Place the pork cut into the slow cooker with the sauce, cover.
Cook in your crockpot on low for eight hours, or on high for six hours.
When done, remove from the crockpot and pull apart.
Fry up your pulled pork with your favorite barbecue sauce, for a wonderful bit of crispiness to your pulled pork.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- 3 Tbsp (225 g) light brown sugar (divided, 1 tablespoon and 2 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp (4 g) smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (12 g) salt
- ½ tsp (1 g) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
- 3-4 lb pork (boneless shoulder is recommended, trim excess fat)
- ¾ c (177 ml) water
- ½ c (125 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (49 g) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (16 g) honey (optional)
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the light brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt (or garlic powder), and rubbed sage. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork, coating all sides.
- In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the pork and sear all of the sides, until browned (about 5 minutes). Transfer pork to a plate and set aside.
Sauce Mix (with drippings)
- Add water, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste and remaining 2 tablespoon of the light brown sugar (add optional honey, if desired) to the drippings in the frying pan, whisk or stir ingredients together to make a thin sauce. Transfer the sauce from frying pan into your slow cooker and add pork. Cook on low for eight hours, or on high for six hours.
- Once cooked, pull meat apart (add salt or pepper, to taste). Add your favorite barbecue sauce, then pan fry for a nice crispy texture on the edges of your pulled pork (optional).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!