This family favorite sausage hash brown breakfast casserole is full of savory sausage, hash browns, cheese, and protein-packed eggs! It's sure to be your new go-to dish when serving breakfast or brunch! You’ll love just how easy this casserole is to throw together and how quickly it disappears!
This cheesy sausage hash brown breakfast casserole is the simple yet satisfying breakfast your mornings have been missing!
What’s better than savory sausage, crispy hash browns, and melty eggs with cheese in the morning? When you mix them all together!
This tasty hash brown and sausage bake combines your favorite breakfast flavors to make a fluffy, delicious casserole that no one can resist.
This casserole is the perfect dish when you need to feed a group! It slices beautifully and is full of cheesy goodness that will be loved by kids and adults alike.
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
Super Easy! This recipe is quick to throw together, then you just pop it in the oven and wait for it to bake!
So Tasty! The classic breakfast flavors combine to create a savory and satisfying casserole you will want to whip up on the regular!
It's Adaptable! Don’t have sausage? Try some crispy bacon! Make it vegetarian-friendly by ditching the meat in exchange for some of your favorite veggies. This casserole is as flexible as they come!
This recipe calls for a few breakfast staples and is very forgiving if you need to make substitutions. You may need to scoop up some sausage and hash browns from the supermarket - but most of the ingredients are things you likely keep stocked in your fridge!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
- 8 large Eggs- Eggs are the foundation of this casserole and hold everything together! Use room temperature eggs to avoid increasing the cooking time. Cold eggs will take longer to cook!
- Seasoning- Salt and pepper to your liking, but remember the sausage is salty as well (so don’t over-do it!) Garlic powder and onion powder compliment the other ingredients and add depth to the flavor of the eggs.
- 1 pound Sausage- Pork sausage is sold in chubs and comes in many different flavors. The original flavor is classic, but the hot and sage flavors are just as delicious!
- 20 ounces Hash Browns- Crispy, crunchy hash browns are the highlight of this casserole! This can be made with fresh hash browns or thawed frozen hash browns, whichever you have on hand!
- 1 ⅓ cups Milk- Milk makes the helps to make the eggs less dense and more fluffy!
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese- A medium-sharp cheddar is my cheese of choice. The sharpness of the cheddar cheese really compliments the savory flavor of the sausage, and it melts beautifully! However, this recipe will likely taste great with your favorite cheese or whatever kind you’ve got in your fridge.
- Bell peppers and/or Onions (Optional)- Give your casserole a tasty western twist by adding some bell peppers and onions! The bell peppers and onions give this breakfast casserole a boost in flavor and texture, plus a touch of color from the peppers.
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
This flavorful sausage and hash brown breakfast casserole will take just 15 minutes of prep before you can set a timer and forget it in the oven! No special tools or skills are necessary, this recipe is great for a beginner!
Brown the Sausage & Mix Eggs
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 350℉ (175℃) and lightly grease or spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the sausage. While your oven preheats, brown and crumble 1lb of sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat and drain the fat.
- Make the egg mixture. Next, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the 8 large eggs, 1 ⅓ cups milk, and seasoning (1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon onion powder).
Layer the Casserole
- Make the casserole. In your greased baking dish, layer the 20 ounces of hash browns, 1 pound cooked sausage, optional ingredients (red or green bell pepper and/or onions), and 1½ cups of the cheddar cheese, then pour the egg mixture over the top. Mix to combine the ingredients if desired, then top with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake and serve. Place the casserole on the center rack and bake at 350℉ (175℃) for 55-60 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked through to the center. Serve immediately when done.
This delicious hash brown breakfast casserole makes a filling meal all on its own! No need to make any side dishes, you can enjoy this hearty breakfast as-is!
If you are looking for something sweet to compliment the savory flavors of this casserole, my recipe for classic cinnamon rolls is sure to impress! It's perfect for a holiday get-together (or a typical Sunday morning)! Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, set them in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- If choosing to add the optional bell peppers or onions and you want them softened, sauté them with the sausage as it browns.
- If you don’t have shredded hash browns on hand, I have also tried this recipe with frozen tater tots and found it to be just as tasty. Make sure they are fully thawed before making your casserole!
- If you have a larger bag of hash browns and want to use it up, this recipe can accommodate 32 ounces (2 pounds) of hash browns.
- Need to feed a crowd? Try using 10 large eggs or 2 pounds of sausage to feed more guests.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
If you are not cooking for a group, freezing is recommended because this casserole makes a whopping 10 servings. However, if you find yourself with leftovers you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days before you should toss them.
This casserole can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months if wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. Portion out individual servings and thaw it out in the fridge overnight for a ready-made breakfast you can heat in the morning!
Reheating Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Individual servings can be microwaved for 1-2 minutes, or until heated all the way through. If heating the entire casserole, cover it with foil to keep it moist and place it in the preheated oven at 350℉ (175℃) for 20 to 30 minutes (just until heated through).
To reheat any frozen leftovers, thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight before heating.
🥞 Other Great Breakfast Recipes
Though it is not essential to brown the sausage beforehand, I highly recommend it. By browning the sausage in a skillet before adding it to the casserole you remove excess fat from the meat. That means more flavor and less grease!
If you do not brown the sausage, make sure to double-check that it is completely cooked after the instructed cooking time and cook for longer if necessary.
No problem! If you like an extra crunch in your casserole, brown the hash browns before layering the ingredients. This can be done in a skillet, but I prefer to put the hash browns in a greased baking dish. Bake them in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes before layering the remaining ingredients.
Yes! Assemble your casserole in the baking dish as instructed, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap. The unbaked casserole will keep well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. If using frozen hash browns make sure they are fully thawed, or you risk watering down your casserole!
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb sausage (cooked, crumbled, drained)
- 8 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 20 oz hash browns (fresh or thawed)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated - reserve ½ cup for topping the casserole)
- ½ small yellow onion (optional, diced)
- ½ large red bell pepper (optional, diced)
- ½ large green bell pepper (optional, diced)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease or spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown and crumble the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat then drain the fat.1 lb sausage
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder).8 large eggs, 1 ⅓ cups milk, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Layer the hash browns, cooked sausage, optional ingredients (red or green bell peppers and/or onions) plus 1 ½ cups of grated cheddar cheese then pour the egg mixture over the ingredients. Mix to combine if desired, then top with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.20 oz hash browns, 2 cups cheddar cheese, ½ small yellow onion, ½ large red bell pepper, ½ large green bell pepper
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 55-60 minutes, or until the egg in the center is fully cooked. *Cooking times may be longer if you add additional ingredients, or your hash browns are not fully thawed.
- If choosing to add the optional onion, red bell pepper, and/or green bell pepper and you want them softened, saute with the sausage as it browns.
- Use the Simply Potatoes brand fresh hashbrowns that are sold in 20-ounce packages or frozen hashbrowns that are fully thawed.
- The hash browns amount can accommodate up to 2 pounds or 32-ounces of hash browns.
- Want to add more egg or sausage? Try 10 eggs or 2 pounds of sausage to feed more people!
- Use pork breakfast sausage sold in chubs - whichever flavor you enjoy most. The regular, sage, and hot flavors are all quite tasty.
- You can layer the ingredients and top with eggs, or mix everything together then transfer into your baking dish.
- The hash brown breakfast casserole can be refrigerated or frozen after assembly.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!