Delightfully light and filled with matching funfetti, these Red White N Blue 4th of July Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes are a fun addition to Memorial Day and 4th of July! The colors and funfetti sprinkles can be changed up for any occasion, and you will love how easy the cupcakes are to make!
Our daughter loves to make these with me, and calls herself the 'official taste tester' of all things frosting related...but most of all, sprinkling and gently stirring in the funfetti seems to be a particular favorite. Go figure!
What You'll Need
- Butter - Unsalted butter is best.
- Sugar - For cupcakes I really prefer cane sugar.
- Eggs - Make sure they are fresh.
- Vanilla Extract - Make sure it's real vanilla extract not the imitation stuff.
- Salt - Just a pinch.
- All-Purpose Flour -
- Milk - Cold milk works wonders in these cupcakes.
- Funfetti Sprinkles - Any red, white and blue sprinkles can work.
- Confectioners Sugar - Powdered gold!
- Heavy Cream - Just a small amount makes the frosting rich and creamy.
- Red & Blue Food Coloring - Other colors will do but time to be festive here.
To make the Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes...
- To get these started, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and line your muffin tray with cupcake liners. In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Gradually add in the beaten eggs, then the vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the flour, combining just enough so that the flour is incorporated into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the milk, being careful not to over-mix the batter, then gently fold in the red white n blue funfetti sprinkles.
- Portion your cupcake batter into the cupcake liners, filling them so that they are just over halfway full. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting...
- For the vanilla buttercream frosting, I like to use heavy cream. You can lighten it up with half-and-half or whole milk, or combine a bit of water with any of these! For my favorite version, simply cream your unsalted butter until nice and smooth, then add half of the confectioners sugar (2 cups) and blend until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoon of heavy cream, and combine until smooth again. Add the last 2 cup portion of the confectioners sugar and combine until smooth once more. Add a little more heavy cream, drizzling it in, until the frosting is to your desired consistency (if needed).
- Divide your frosting into three portions, and color one batch blue and another red.
- Add the red, white, and blue frosting each into their own frosting bags and insert into your tip of choice, or use a joiner for this three color effect.
- Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes (and add more funfetti sprinkles if you want!).
Red White N Blue Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes
Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes
Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and set your cupcake liners in your muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Slowly add in the beaten eggs, then add the vanilla extract and salt. Add the flour and mix just enough to incorporate the dry ingredient, then stir in the milk. Do not over-mix the batter. Gently fold in the red white n blue funfetti sprinkles.
- Portion your batter into the cupcake liners, filling them a little more than half way full. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Cream the unsalted butter until smooth, add the first 2 c portion of the confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoon of the heavy cream and mix until smooth, then add the remaining 2 c portion of confectioners sugar and mix again until smooth. Drizzle in little bits of heavy cream, if needed, to reach the desired frosting consistency.
- Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes using a 3 color joiner, or use 3 bags and fit them into a standard frosting tip of your choice.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!