When you're looking for a break away from the standard left over meals for your holiday turkey dinner, this family favorite Leftover Turkey a la King (also known as King-style Turkey) is just what you need! This is a super quick skillet dinner that is full of turkey, mushrooms, red bell pepper (rather than pimentos that are frequently used in chicken ala king recipes), and peas.
Leftover Turkey a la King Recipe
Typically, the classic version of chicken a la king is served over rice or pasta (also toast or biscuits). However, if you have leftover mashed potatoes from your holiday dinner, you can serve up this delightful creamy turkey dish over your mashed potatoes instead!
For me, when I hear 'a la king' it brings back fond childhood memories of this indulgent comfort food. It's not a dinner that my mother served, so I always looked forward to when my step mother made it for me during my time with that part of my family. Quite simply, it was one of my favorites then. It's remains a favorite to this day.
This quick leftover turkey a la king method uses heavy cream vs making a roux or slurry using flour.
Since the leftover turkey meat is already cooked, I prefer this method as I don't have delicious pan juices available from cooking my meat.
I'm also using a chicken bullion cube for added flavor, and we use the Knorr brand larger bullion cubes. If you have the standard small square cubes, consider using two. And of course, the Better Than Bullion product can be used too.
The original chicken a la king is meant to be a rich dish, so don't skip the bullion cube and heavy cream as it makes for a sensationally flavorful dinner (fit for a king).
If you’re looking for more leftover recipe ideas to use up your oven roasted turkey, check out my other tasty turkey leftover meals – classic leftover turkey noodle soup, flavorful leftover turkey curry and hearty leftover turkey tetrazzini!
Leftover Turkey Meals
- Leftover Turkey Curry
- Leftover Turkey a la King (this page)
- Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
Leftover Turkey a la King
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 8 oz mushrooms (washed, sliced)
- 1 cube chicken bouillon (Knorr brand)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cups frozen peas (rinsed)
- 4 cups leftover turkey (chopped)
- salt & white pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley (chopped, optional garnish)
- In a large skillet at medium high heat, melt the butter and add the chopped red bell pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, then add sliced mushrooms and chicken bullion cube. Break up the bullion cube and stir it into the ingredients while sauteing mushrooms, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream, bring to a low boil then reduce to low heat and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add thawed peas and chopped turkey meat, stir and season with salt and white pepper. Simmer an additional 2-3 minutes or until turkey meat is warmed.
- Remove from heat, garnish with parsley, and serve over your choice of rice, pasta, toast, or biscuits.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!