Irish Coffee is one of the most delicious hot cocktails around and makes a fantastic start (or end) to an eventful St. Patrick's Day! Learn how to make this simple cocktail using brown sugar, sweetened hot coffee, Irish Whiskey, and heavy cream. This hot classic cocktail is perfect for warming you up on cold mornings, or enjoying at any time of the day!
Best Irish Coffee Recipe
This amazingly flavorful hot coffee cocktail is a superb drink to enjoy year-round! Even though this is a wildly popular drink come St. Patrick's day it's just so darn tasty that it deserves much more attention!
Besides, who can resist a nice boozy coffee when it's cold outside? Not me! And with Minnesota winters lasting half the year, there's plenty of reason to take the nip off!
Also known as Gaelic Coffee, or Caife Gaelach - the cocktail's proper Irish name.
If you are looking for some St Patrick's day recipes, here are a few great ones to serve with your cocktail or enjoy on the holiday!
Joe Sheridan created the Irish coffee cocktail in 1942. The story goes that chef turned bartender Joe Sheridan ran a restaurant at the Foynes Airbase, or Foynes Port, outside of Limerick, Ireland (currently replaced by the Shannon International Airport, that has carried on the Irish Coffee tradition).
It was after an evening flight failed to reach New York that Mr. Sheridan mixed up a round of Irish Coffees for the stranded passengers. One of the Americans that had been delayed asked if it was a Brazilian coffee, to which Joe Sheridan replied, 'It's an Irish Coffee.'
It was in 1947 at the new Shannon Airport that Stanton Delaplane, a San Francisco Chronicle travel writer, had his first Irish Coffee.
Once home, Stanton and his friend Jack Koepple (owner of Buena Vista Bar), went to work to recreate the Irish Coffee that Joe Sheridan had originated.
Cream, Rich as an Irish Brogue
Coffee, Strong as a Friendly Hand
Sugar, Sweet as the tongue of a Rogue
Whiskey, Smooth as the Wit of the Land
~ verse by Joe Sheridan on how to make a true Irish Coffeehttps://www.thestreet.com
🍹 Irish Coffee Ingredients
- Heavy Cream - 1 fluid ounce of heavy cream (or whipped cream). Do not use the whipped cream in a can.
- Light Brown Sugar - 2 teaspoons of light brown sugar. Just the right amount to sweeten the drink and add richness.
- Black Coffee - 4 fluid ounces of black coffee (hot, filtered). Use good quality, strong-brewed coffee.
- Irish Whiskey - 1 ½ fluid ounces of Irish Whiskey. *See notes below.
- Optional Garnish - Freshly grated nutmeg, chocolate shavings, or 2-3 coffee beans.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🤔 What's the Best Irish Whiskey?
Jameson is undoubtedly the most popular of all Irish Whiskey served. It's what any good bar will have stocked on hand!
Bushmills is the second most popular Irish Whiskey. They claim to be the oldest licensed Irish Whiskey distillery in the world.
Both are exceptional whiskey brands. Personally, and for today's Irish Coffee, I use Jamesons (it's my fave)!
🍸 How To Make Irish Coffee
Start with a heatproof cup and some really good dark-brewed coffee. *I recommend that you add hot water to your cup to warm it prior to mixing your cocktail.
- Whip the cream. Slightly warm and then aerate your 1 fluid ounce of heavy cream by stirring rapidly with a whisk or fork, or whip heavy cream to a whipped cream consistency. Set aside.
- Add sugar and coffee. Remove hot water from your glass. Begin with your 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, add in 4 fluid ounces of hot coffee, and stir. The coffee should fill your mug to between ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Stir in the whiskey. Next, add the 1 ½ fluid ounces of Irish Whiskey and stir lightly.
- Pour in the cream. Then pour aerated heavy whipping cream over the back of a spoon and into your coffee mug, or dollop whipped cream onto the top of your Irish whiskey cocktail. Do not use the aerated cans of commercial whipped cream, as they can ruin your coffee drink.
- Garnish and serve. Top with optional garnish of nutmeg, shaved chocolate, or 2 - 3 coffee beans if desired.
🍲 Foods To Serve With
If you are searching for some St. Patrick's day treats to serve with your coffee, here are a few of my favorite recipes!
- Irish Soda Bread Pudding
- Irish Apple Cake
- Old Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake
- Barmbrack Bread
- Blackberry Apple Crumble
- Lucky Charms Marshmellow Treats
>>>>See all of my recipes HERE<<<<
While you can use any kind of coffee that you like, I recommend at least using a good quality brand. A medium to strong roast is typically used to make this tasty cocktail!
Irish coffees are typically made with Irish whiskey! If you see a similar cocktail called Gaelic Coffee, this drink is made with Scotch whiskey.
Absolutely! If you prefer iced coffee, you can always make this cocktail as a cold beverage. Simply replace your hot coffee with cold brew coffee.
😋 More Tasty Cocktails
- Blue Lagoon Cocktail - This beautiful and incredibly easy cocktail features vodka, lemonade, and blue curacao!
- Dark N Stormy Cocktail - Dark n stormy cocktails combine a trio of dark rum, ginger beer, and lime juice!
- Bay Breeze Cocktail - This sweet and fruity cocktail is perfect for serving up on a hot day by the pool!
- Royal Hawaiian Cocktail - Purple gin, pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orgeat syrup come together to make a crowd-pleasing cocktail!
- Bahama Mama - This popular vacation drink is deliciously fruity and will be a hit of the party!
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Sea breeze cocktails only require 3 ingredients and make a wonderful drink to enjoy during a hot summer day!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
- Start with a heat proof cup and some really good dark brewed coffee. *It is recommended that you add hot water to your cup to warm it prior to mixing your cocktail.
- Slightly warm and then aerate your heavy cream by stirring rapidly with a whisk or fork, or whip heavy cream to a whipped cream consistency. Set aside.
- Remove hot water from your glass. Begin with your brown sugar, add hot coffee and stir.
- Add the Irish Whiskey and stir.
- Pour aerated heavy whipping cream over the back of a spoon and into your coffee mug, or dollop whipped cream onto the top of your Irish whiskey cocktail. Do not use the aerated cans of commercial whipped cream, as they can ruin your coffee drink.
- Top with optional garnish of nutmeg, shaved chocolate, or 2 - 3 coffee beans if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!