This super easy Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade adds so much more than just a deliciously tangy flavor to plain chicken! It only takes a few minutes and you’re well on your way to tender, juicy marinated chicken with a mild yet bold, sweet, and savory punch for your tastebuds!
Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade Recipe
Honey and mustard are a classic flavor combo to use with chicken, and this marinade is no exception! The sweet and tangy flavored chicken is a delightful change from plain old chicken!
Plus the marinade works to make the chicken super tender and keep it ridiculously moist through the cooking process! It’s a fabulous way to cook up chicken breast that is usually bland or dried out once cooked. Yum!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll want a storage bag for your chicken to marinate in, it helps the marinade cling to the chicken and yields the best results. In addition to a ziploc plastic storage bag or freezer bag, you’ll need these essential pantry staple ingredients:
- Honey – is a family favorite for making marinades of all flavors for all proteins! Honey is a perfect marinade base ingredient!
- Mustard – use your favorite Dijon mustard brand. I use both creamy Dijon or stone-ground Dijon interchangeably for this amazing marinade!
- Olive Oil – use extra virgin olive oil to add that familiar taste and to help coat the chicken wonderfully! Coconut oil is my runner-up cooking oil to use in this and other marinades.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – while this can be an optional addition, it really does make your chicken ‘zing’ with flavor! The vinegar also works to break down the meat for a superbly tender chicken!
- Paprika – I love paprika and use either regular or smoked paprika on pretty much all of my meats. It never used to be that way, but now I can’t imagine not having it on hand at all times! It. Just. Works.
- Cayenne Pepper– this is another optional ingredient that I do recommend. It won’t make your marinated chicken too spicy, but offsets and highlights your mustard and honey flavors!
- Garlic Powder – or minced garlic is a great savory addition with a depth of flavor to make this marinade outstanding!
- Salt & Pepper – for just the right amount of seasoning that highlights your ingredient flavors!
How To Make Chicken Marinade
Your marinade comes together in literally 5 minutes, get your chicken coated, and refrigerate for the perfect honey mustard chicken!
- In a small bowl combine the honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder or minced garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Transfer the chicken and marinade into a plastic storage bag or freezer bag. Squeeze out any excess air while sealing the bag securely.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken by squishing the marinade throughout the bag. Continue until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pro Tip: If you will be grilling whole chicken breasts, it is best to flatten the chicken breasts for quick and even cooking. Place your chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic cling film then pound with a meat mallet or tenderizer ( the flat side ). Start at the center of the chicken breast and work your way outward toward the edges.
Your chicken needs to marinate at the very least for 15 – 20 minutes before cooking. The longer you can let the chicken marinate, the more flavorful it will be!
I would usually recommend at least 4 hours, or overnight ( 8 hours ) for optimal marinating. However, you can marinate the chicken for up to 2 days refrigerated. This is the maximum amount of time that I would marinate the chicken in a vinegar-based marinade.
While frozen chicken pieces can usually be stored in the freezer for 6 months or more, I recommend a maximum of three months. Allow the frozen marinated chicken to thaw while refrigerated overnight.
The honey mustard marinade will slowly seep into your chicken while the meat is thawing, making it wonderfully tender and delicious!
Check out all of my super easy and incredibly addictive chicken marinade flavors in one place! Each marinade is absolutely perfect for grilled, pan-fried, or oven-baked chicken breasts, thighs, wings, skewers, and more! They also make great chicken bites for fast, reheatable lunches and lunch bowls!
Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients (mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper) into a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the chicken and marinade into a ziploc plastic storage bag, then squeeze out all of the air and seal securely.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken for a minute or two.
- For best results allow the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Freeze for up to 3 months.
If you will be grilling whole chicken breasts, it is best to flatten the chicken breasts for quick and even cooking. Place your chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic cling film and pound with a meat mallet or tenderizer ( the flat side ). Start at the center of the chicken breast and work your way toward the edges.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!