Cooking Frozen Orange Chicken in the Air Fryer is the easiest ever no-muss, no-fuss way to make this delicious takeout meal at home in just minutes! There's no oil needed, and the chicken cooks up incredibly crispy and perfect to pair with the delightfully tangy orange sauce!
Tangy Orange Chicken in Minutes
My mouth waters at the very thought of air fryer frozen orange chicken meeting my lips and licking my fingers. The zesty orange flavor pairs so delightfully with chicken, making this a meal I always look forward to!
You have surely heard the silly expression, “Winner, winner, chicken dinner,” and I would argue that it was orange chicken that got folks pumped up for poultry!
Using my air fryer has become one of my favorite tools in the kitchen. I use it for a variety of meals and snacks like air fryer pizza rolls and air fryer chicken legs. The results are perfectly tasty and absolutely fabulous!
What You'll Need
All that you need for this recipe is your air fryer and a package of orange chicken from the freezer aisle at your local grocery store. The sauce should be in packets in the packaging!
- Frozen Orange Chicken - A 24-ounce package of orange chicken is about 4 generous servings. If you need to feed more people or happen to have a super hungry bunch, just get more chicken!
As much as I was looking forward to trying the Foster Farm's version the smell is quite overpowering. Don't get me wrong, the taste is OK, even good. However, it has an extraordinarily strong vinegar smell that is off-putting, to say the least.
I recommend you select your favorite brand. I know I love the InnovAsian, Kahiki, and P.F. Chang's brands frozen orange chicken. 🙂
Thankfully, the air fryer cooking method works great with any brand of frozen orange chicken!
How to Cook Your Frozen Orange Chicken in an Air Fryer
Making air fryer frozen orange chicken is a breeze. From start to finish, it only takes about 15 minutes. Who needs fast food when you can use your air fryer for something hot, fresh, and FAST at home?
I love how crispy and juicy the breaded chicken comes out after air frying! Plus, it's never greasy like deep frying or even frying in a pan would wind up being. It’s a healthier way to cook. Yum!
- First, you will need to open your package of frozen orange chicken and remove the sauce packet. Set the sauce aside (still sealed) in a bowl of warm water to defrost as the frozen chicken does its thing in the air fryer.
- Then arrange the frozen orange chicken breaded pieces in an evenly spaced-out layer in the air fryer basket or trays. Remember, you will not need any oil for this recipe.
- Cook the orange chicken in the air fryer at 400ºF (205ºC) for 8 minutes, then flip them over and return to the air fryer for another 3-5 minutes of cooking. Cook them a bit longer if they are not crispy and fully heated by this time. You can also continue for a few extra minutes if you simply prefer your orange chicken to be extra crispy like I do!
- Empty the packet of orange sauce into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds – 1 minute, or heat it up in a small saucepan on the stovetop for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour the heated orange sauce over the breaded chicken and toss thoroughly to coat. You can do this in a large bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Some people may prefer to serve the sauce on the side and dip the chicken. It’s up to you. I like to serve this easy chicken dinner with my instant pot jasmine rice and simple microwave steamed broccoli!
Air Fryer Tips: When you follow my air fryer recipes, be sure to check the directions for your air fryer’s make and model, as it may differ from the one I’ve got at home. Also, never spray aerosolized cooking spray directly on the device. Instead, use either a pump-spray bottle of oil or a pastry brush (or paper towel) to brush it on as directed. Keep in mind, this air fryer frozen orange chicken recipe doesn’t require any additional oil!
Storing Air Fried Orange Chicken
Storing leftover orange chicken is simple, just pack it into an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the orange chicken in the microwave or in the oven for a crispier result.
Reheating your orange chicken in the oven is the best option! Simply place the orange chicken into an oven-safe dish and heat at 350ºF (175ºC) for 10 - 12 minutes.
Sometimes I serve it cold over a salad or wrap it in a tortilla wrap for lunch. Stay tuned for more delicious air fryer recipes!
Frozen Orange Chicken Air Fryer
- 24 oz frozen orange chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Arrange the frozen orange chicken breaded pieces in an even layer in the basket of your air fryer or on your air fryer trays. *No oil is needed. Set the frozen packet of orange sauce into a bowl or cup of warm water to thaw while the chicken cooks.24 oz frozen orange chicken
- Cook the chicken in your air fryer at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 8 minutes, then toss or flip and return to your air fryer. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until crispy and fully heated.
- Warm the thawed orange sauce in a microwave-safe bowl or container for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute. Or heat in a small saucepan on the stovetop at medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the heated orange sauce over the air-fried chicken and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve immediately.1 teaspoon salt
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!