Air Fryer Yellow Squash is a ridiculously easy vegetable side dish to make that's super tasty and super quick to make too! Pair it with almost any protein as a main dish and enjoy a light, low-carb meal that everyone will love!
Air Fryer Yellow Squash
I always make sure to serve veggies with dinner, and squash is a favorite among my family! Air Fryer Squash (without breading) is so easy to make, and it will take you less than 15 minutes from start to supper!
To make air fryer squash, you can use any summer squash variety. I use fresh yellow squash - either the crookneck or the straight neck, depending upon what looks best at the grocery store. You can also substitute the squash for zucchini or pattypans, both are well-loved in this household!
If You Love Summer Squash As Much As I Do, You'll Love This Too.
No matter the veggie you choose, the air fryer will work its magic and you will have a lovely veggie side dish in a snap. Sprinkled with a bit of seasoning, you will love the fresh flavor after it is air fried!
This recipe list is a short one, leaving all the scrumptiousness to the squash itself. Plus, everything tastes better after cooking in the air fryer, so expect these to be gobbled up and gone!
- Yellow Squash (or other summer squash) – See what's available at your grocer or mix the two. Depending upon where you live and the season, go for what is freshest.
- Olive Oil – When you use an air fryer, a little bit of oil goes a long way. That is how your food can be prepared much more healthfully than traditional frying in oil.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste. Don’t overdo it, as you can always add more seasoning.
- Garlic Salt (optional) – A great swap to use in place of regular salt. You can also try celery salt, which is one of my faves for this veggie.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
If you use your air fryer regularly, you already know how simple it is to function. If you are new to the air fryer world, you will soon learn how versatile and useful the kitchen gadget can be.
Not to mention, the food always comes out delicious! I use mine all the time!
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Follow your air fryer’s instructions for preheating.
- Wash and slice the yellow squash (or zucchini or other summer squash variety) into ½ inch slices. I tend to cut the smaller pieces along the neck of the squash first, then I slice the width of the body portion in half. *If you have a super skinny squash, you probably won’t need to slice it in half. And if you pick up a fat one, you may need to cut the body portion in thirds or quarters. Use your judgement and try to make all the pieces approximately the same size, so they cook evenly.
- Coat the sliced yellow squash with the olive oil and seasonings of choice. Do this in a large bowl and toss with clean hands or a large spoon.
- Transfer the coated yellow squash into the basket of your air fryer. Slightly overlapping is OK, you just don't want the squash slices piled on top of each other.
- Cook the yellow squash at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 6-8 minutes, or until the veggies are at your desired level of tenderness. *I don’t like mine too soft, so I tend to take them out on the earlier side.
- Remove from your air fryer and serve immediately once cooked - or start up another batch, repeating as needed.
Place any leftovers into an airtight container (once fully cooled) and refrigerate the cooked squash or zucchini for up to 3-4 days. If you’ve had your squash in the fridge, you can opt to eat them cold. I sometimes put a few slices in a wrap with goat cheese or fresh mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes with pesto. It’s amazing!
To freeze your air fryer squash, place the cooled squash onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze for about 2 hours, then transfer the frozen squash into an airtight freezer container or freezer storage bag.
😋 More Great Air Fryer Recipes
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Air Fryer Yellow Squash
- 1 medium yellow squash (summer squash or zucchini)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- garlic salt (optional, omit the salt)
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Wash and slice yellow squash (or summer squash, or zucchini) into roughly ½ inch slices. *I usually slice the smaller pieces along the neck of the yellow squash, then cut the width of the body portion of the squash in half. Continue slicing.
- Coat the sliced yellow squash with the olive oil and seasoning by tossing the squash in a bowl, then transfer it into the basket of your air fryer.
- Cook at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 6-8 minutes, or until the squash reaches your desired level of tenderness.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!