This frozen blue Hawaiian cocktail has wonderful tropical flavors - they're the perfect combination of light rum, blue curacao, coconut, and pineapple! Plus, this cocktail is blue. How fun is that?! Garnish with fresh pineapple and you have the perfect pick-me-up on a dreary day!
Blue Hawaiian Frozen Cocktail
This tasty blue cocktail is also known as a 'swimming pool' and is very similar to a pina colada! No wonder I love to make this drink when I want a truly delicious cocktail. It never disappoints. Yum!
The perfect beach-inspired tropical cocktail for a hot day - or any day!
🍹 Frozen Blue Hawaiian Ingredients
All of the ingredients you need to make a frozen blue Hawaiian cocktail at home can be found at your local liquor store!
- Ice - Have lots of ice on hand before starting to blend your drinks!
- Pineapple Juice - A big part of the tropical flavor! Don't add too much, or you'll turn your blue Hawaiian more aqua or light green in color!
- Sweet & Sour Mix - If you don't have any, see my instructions for making your very own!
- Cream Of Coconut - Make sure you are using cream of coconut (creme de coconut) not coconut cream!
- Light Rum - I like J Wray Silver Jamaican rum. Malibu pineapple rum is also a popular choice.
- Blue Curacao - This will get you that beloved blue drink. In a pinch any orange liqueur will work - Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Aperol.
- Optional Garnishes - Pineapple wedge, maraschino cherry & cocktail umbrella.
🔪 How To Make A Frozen Blue Hawaiian
This is a very easy blender drink to make! It's one of my favorites for entertaining on short notice!
- Add 1 cup of ice to your blender.
- Pour in the 2 ounces of pineapple juice, 1 ounce sweet and sour mix, 1 ounce cream of coconut, 1 ounce light (white) rum, and 1 ounce blue curacao.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a hurricane glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and cocktail umbrella.
Make Your Own Sweet & Sour Mix
- Combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water in a sauce pan, stir, and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cool add ½ cup of lemon juice and ½ cup lime juice.
- Refrigerate till cold.
🥂 Cocktail Tips & Variations
- Love coconut? Swap out the normal light rum for Malibu coconut rum!
- Ditch the cream of coconut for vodka - and voila! you have a Frozen Blue Hawaii.
- Add your favorite champagne or some prosecco for a 'Sparkling Blue Hawaiian'!
- Don't want it blended? Simply shake and strain over ice!
- Be sure you are using cream of coconut NOT coconut cream!
- This drink is traditionally served in a hurricane glass, as seen here. For a fun twist try hollowing out a fresh coconut or a whole pineapple, or serve them up in tiki mugs!
- When I plan ahead, I do chill the hurricane glasses (which I highly suggest).
🍲 Foods To Serve With
Some great ideas for appetizers to go with your Frozen Blue Hawaiian Cocktail!
- Chipotle Dry Rubbed Chicken Wings
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Cajun Fries
- Tortilla Chips with my Salsa Verde and Guac!
- Or try my easy Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp.
Frozen Blue Hawaiian Cocktail
- 1 cup ice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz sweet and sour mix
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- 1 oz light rum
- 1 oz blue curacao
- pineapple wedge & cocktail umbrella (optional garnish)
- Add ice to blender. Pour in the pineapple juice, sweet and sour mix, cream of coconut, light rum, and blue curacao.1 cup ice, 2 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz sweet and sour mix, 1 oz cream of coconut, 1 oz light rum, 1 oz blue curacao
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a hurricane glass and garnish with a pineapple wedge and cocktail umbrella.pineapple wedge & cocktail umbrella
Equipment You May Need
- NOTE: Cream of coconut is used in this recipe not coconut cream.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think: