This incredibly easy to make Chinese buffet style Creamy Coconut Shrimp is a super tasty 15 minute dinner! The tender shrimp is quickly sautéed in coconut oil, stirred into the sweet coconut sauce, then topped with fresh lime zest for a tangy combination!!
Creamy Coconut Shrimp Recipe
If you love a quick weeknight dinner like me, you'll love this flavorful but simple shrimp dinner! Start your rice and peel the shrimp for this creamy coconut shrimp, and have dinner ready and on the table in just 20 minutes!
The creamy coconut milk sauce has a hint of coconut with a sweetness that is complimented by the fresh lime zest. Add a lime wedge on the side when serving this soon-to-be family favorite meal!
How to Make Creamy Coconut Shrimp
Prepare your raw shrimp ( thawed, if using frozen shrimp ) and heat a large skillet or frying pan with the coconut oil to medium high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through. Transfer your cooked shrimp to a plate, and set aside.
Add the full fat, unsweetened coconut milk to the skillet along with finely minced garlic and ginger, lime juice and zest, sugar and salt. Bring the sauce to a full rolling boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes to thicken the sauce.
Once the sauce has thickened, return the shrimp to the coconut sauce and continue to simmer for an addition 2 to 3 minutes to warm the shrimp.
Remove from heat when done, and serve immediately. I serve my creamy coconut shrimp over either rice or cauliflower rice, and garnish with freshly zested lime as well as a lime wedge. Toasted unsweetened shredded coconut is also a wonderfully complimentary flavor!
If you love the flavors of shrimp and coconut, try out my Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp too!
Creamy Coconut Shrimp
- 2 lbs shrimp (medium or large - thawed, peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon garlic (finely minced or crushed)
- 2 limes (zest and juice)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (finely minced or crushed)
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Bring a large skillet with the coconut oil to medium high heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shrimp turns opaque and is cooked through. Transfer the cooked shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk, garlic, ginger, lime juice and zest, sugar and salt to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once a full rolling boil has been reached, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Return the cooked shrimp to the thickened sauce, and continue to simmer on low heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp is heated through.
- Remove from heat when done and serve immediately. Serve over rice or cauliflower rice, garnished with lime wedges and/or toasted shredded coconut, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!