These tasty Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts are super easy to make! They're also equally suitable for an anytime weeknight dinner, holiday meals, and special occasions! Fresh or frozen brussels sprouts are baked to crispy, caramelized perfection that retains their wonderfully nutty flavor too!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts Recipe
I firmly believe that this method of cooking brussel sprouts is the easiest ever! With a few minor variations to the cooking temperature and time that are noted below, you can make the perfect roasted brussel sprouts that fit your personal or family preferences!
My personal favorite is to have a nice crispy exterior on my brussels sprouts, with a tender inside. Thankfully, my family agrees that brussel sprouts of any cook method are pretty wonderful!
For us, these roasted brussel sprouts are a regular part of our weeknight family dinners. However, they're just as suitable for a holiday meal or special occasion ( since I absolutely love brussel sprouts, these were on the table for Mother's Day )!
How To Make Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
To pan roast your brussel sprouts in the oven, preheat the oven to 400ºF ( 204ºC ) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. *There is the argument that you get crispier baked brussel sprouts when cooked directly on the baking sheet. However, I prefer the ease of cleanup and the level of tenderness that I get with the parchment paper.
Prepare your brussel sprouts by trimming the ends, rinsing, and cutting large brussel sprouts in half lengthwise. Frozen brussel sprouts, once thawed, can be halved if needed but should be trimmed and ready to use.
Place the prepared brussel sprouts on your parchment paper lined baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil. Season with coarse or fresh ground salt and pepper, then toss to coat thoroughly.
Spread the brussel sprouts out with some spacing between them, so that they cook evenly. *Crowded brussel sprouts will end up being steamed, rather than roasted.
Place the baking sheet of brussel sprouts into your preheated oven and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. Shake the tray about every 7 to 8 minutes to roast the brussel sprouts evenly, and make sure that they are evenly distributed on the baking sheet while they continue to cook.
Watch the brussel sprouts closely toward the end of their cooking time, as they tend to finish quickly. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Cooking Times for Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Bake at 375ºF ( 190ºC ) for 20-25 minutes for tender, caramelized brussel sprouts
- Bake at 400ºF ( 204ºC ) for 30-35 minutes for crispy, tender and caramelized brussel sprouts
- Bake at 425ºF ( 218ºC ) for 25-30 minutes for crispy roasted brussel sprouts
- Bake at 450ºF ( 232ºC ) for 15-25 minutes for extra crispy roasted brussel sprouts
- The size of your brussel sprouts will determine when they are done, as larger brussel sprouts will simply take longer to cook through.
- High temps can burn your olive oil, which will make your brussel sprouts taste burnt. If you want your brussel sprouts incredibly crispy, bake them as directed then turn the heat up for the last 10 minutes.
- That wonderful nutty flavor of brussel sprouts is best when they are not under-cooked or over-cooked.
- Crowded brussel sprouts can end up mushy due to the 'steamed' cooking effect of not getting enough heat through evenly and on all sides.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Toasted Walnuts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Dijon Mustard Sauce
- BBQ Bacon Wrapped Brussel Sprouts
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 ½ lb brussel sprouts (fresh, or two 12 oz frozen packs - ends trimmed and any yellowed outer leaves removed)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tsp salt (coarse ground)
- ½ tsp pepper (coarse ground)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinsed and trimmed brussel sprouts can be halved lengthwise if they are large, or if you have a mix of unevenly sized brussel sprouts. Place trimmed, halved or whole brussel sprouts onto your baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the brussel sprouts to coat thoroughly, then spread to make sure they roast evenly and are not crowded.
- Place baking sheet of sprouts in your preheated oven and roast for 30 to 35 minutes. Shake the baking sheet occasionally during the cooking time (every 7-8 minutes) to roast evenly. Watch the brussel sprouts closely toward the end of the cooking time to prevent burning, as they will finish quickly. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!