My easy, homemade Breakfast Sandwich is the perfect on-the-go breakfast whether you're headed to work or dropping the kids off at school! Just mix and match crispy bacon, sausage, and Canadian bacon with egg and cheese on an English muffin and you’re out the door in no time!
These breakfast sandwiches are meaty, cheesy, and oh-so-satisfying!
Who doesn’t love a good breakfast sandwich? I know I do! My homemade breakfast sandwich has a crispy English muffin, a perfect egg, cheese, and your choice of bacon, sausage, or Canadian bacon (or all the above).
You and your family are going to want these delicious little sandwiches every single morning!
The best part of these breakfast sandwiches is they’re ready in just 15 minutes. You can easily prepare them before school, work, or a road trip. That way there's no need to stop and get a fast-food breakfast sandwich! Besides, these taste so much better!
You can also make these sandwiches ahead to save extra time and energy in your mornings. It makes breakfast a breeze and you’ll never want to buy pre-made breakfast sandwiches again!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- Super Easy! Just fry up your eggs and meats, toast the muffins, melt the cheese, and they’re ready! Easy, right?
- Full of Breakfast Favorites! If you’re anything like me, you love savory, crispy bacon, meaty sausage, and tender Canadian bacon. This sandwich has one (or all) of those, so it’s sure to please!
- Perfect for On-the-Go! You can easily wrap these sandwiches in aluminum foil and take them with you, so you never have to go hungry!
My simple, classic breakfast sandwich has just 6 ingredients! You can use all 3 types of meat to mix and match or even layer all 3 at once. You can also just pick your favorite for the sandwiches – entirely up to you!
- Eggs – You can use your favorite kind of egg here! I like to pick up fresh, local eggs whenever possible!
- American Cheese – Classic, melty American cheese. It’s perfect for these sandwiches! (See Tips & Recipe Notes)
- Sausage Patties – Whatever sausage you like here is perfect, as long as it’s breakfast sausage! You can make your own patties or use pre-portioned patties.
- Canadian Bacon – Canadian bacon is succulent, meaty, and full of flavor. It’s also sometimes known as ‘back bacon’ or ‘peameal bacon’ depending on your location. *And it makes these tasty sandwiches an Egg McMuffin copycat - a big plus for someone like me that LOVES them!
- Bacon – Feel free to choose your favorite bacon here! I like applewood-smoked bacon for a slightly sweet, smoky flavor.
- English Muffins – English muffins are the superior bread for breakfast sandwiches, in my opinion. They’re crispy, slightly chewy, and not too heavy!
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
These amazing, simple breakfast sandwiches are going to knock your socks off! They’ll be ready in just 15 minutes, so your morning is as easy as can be!
- Fry the meats. In a large frying pan, add in 1 sausage patty, 2 slices Canadian bacon, and/or 1 slice of bacon (photo 1). Fry over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Set aside (if cooking all the meats at once like me, they will be done at different times).
- Toast English muffins. While the meats are cooking, use a toaster to toast three the English muffins. If desired, butter the English muffins after they’re toasted for extra flavor.
- Cook the eggs. Add 3 eggs to the frying pan, giving enough room so that they don’t touch. Break the yolk and cook for about 2 minutes per side (photo 2).
- Add the cheese. At the last 30 seconds of the eggs cooking, add cheese slices to the eggs – 1 slice per egg (photo 3). Allow the cheese to melt completely.
- Serve! When the cheese is melted, place the cheesy eggs on the English Muffins, add choice of meats, and place the top of the English muffin. Serve immediately or wrap in aluminum foil for a to-go breakfast. Enjoy!
These delicious, cheesy breakfast sandwiches are absolutely delicious for breakfast! If you’re not taking these on the go and have extra time, try serving them with my delicious homemade hash browns, pan-fried potatoes and onions, or my blueberry pancakes for a perfect side!
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
This recipe makes 3 servings, but you can easily make more or less!
- Simply adjust the ingredient amounts to make as few or as many as you need! It’s such an easy to customize recipe!
My recipe calls for breaking the yolk, so they cook all the way through.
- If you prefer, you can leave the yolk whole and carefully flip for an over-easy egg, or just leave it to cook on one side for a beautiful sunny side up egg!
I love gooey American cheese for this recipe, but if you want, you can use a different cheese.
- Make sure it’s a cheese that melts beautifully, like a mild or medium cheddar, Colby, or creamy Gouda!
- If you are skipping the American cheese, I would recommend sticking to cheddar-like cheeses as other cheeses might not blend well with the meat and egg.
If you don’t have a toaster, you can warm the English muffins on the stovetop!
- It's simple! Lightly butter the English muffins, and pan fry open side down until golden brown and warmed through.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
I wouldn’t recommend refrigerating pre-made sandwiches, but if you want to make this recipe even easier, you can pre-fry the meats and eggs and store them in the fridge! They’ll keep for about 5 days.
Then, whenever you want to make the sandwiches, all you have to do is toast the English muffins, warm up the meat and eggs in the microwave for 1 minute or on the stove top for 3-5 minutes until warmed through and sizzling. Then, add the cheese to melt. Assemble, and enjoy!
These breakfast sandwiches can also be assembled ahead of time and frozen! Fry the individual components and let them cool. Assemble, and wrap well in wax/parchment paper or plastic cling film. Then place in freezer bags and freeze for up to a month!
When ready to reheat, you can simply place the unwrapped, frozen sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (176°C) for 5 to 10 minutes or until warmed through and the cheese is melted.
You can also reheat in the microwave! Unwrap the sandwiches and wrap them in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute, flip, then microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the other side until it’s warmed through, and the cheese is melted.
If you can’t have gluten, simply use your favorite gluten-free bread! You can use a gluten-free English muffin or sliced bread and proceed as normal with the instructions. Gluten-free bread often comes frozen, so just make sure you’re warming it all the way through!
Definitely! If you have a large griddle, like a Blackstone, or even a counter-top griddle, you can easily fry the meats, eggs, and toast the buns all at once. It’ll turn out wonderfully!
To keep these amazing sandwiches warm on the go, I recommend wrapping them in foil, and then placing in an insulated bag, if you have one. This way, they’ll stay warm for longer! It’s still best to eat these sandwiches within the hour, otherwise they may become a bit stale as the cheese cools.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
- 3 large eggs
- 3 slices American cheese
- 1 sausage patty
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- 1 slice bacon
- 3 English muffins
- In a large frying pan add in your meats and cook over medium-high heat until fully cooked. Set aside. (If cooking all the meats at once like me, they will be done at different times.)1 sausage patty, 2 slices Canadian bacon, 1 slice bacon
- While the meats are cooking using a toaster, toast all three of the English muffins. (optional - butter the English muffins)3 English muffins
- Next, add all three eggs to the frying pan, give enough room that they don't touch, break the yolk, and cook for about 2 minutes per side.3 large eggs
- At about the last 30 seconds add the cheese slices to the eggs, one slice on top per egg, allow the cheese to melt.3 slices American cheese
- Using a spatula place eggs on the English muffins, add choice of meats.
- Serve immediately or wrap in aluminum foil for a to go breakfast, enjoy!
- If you do not have a toaster, just lightly butter each English muffin and pan fry open side down until browned and warm.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!