These easy baked scallops have a crispy, golden-brown Parmesan coating while the scallops themselves are buttery and tender! Sea scallops taste heavenly when baked in the oven, and it's a simple main course or appetizer that can be made in less than 30 minutes!
Crispy Baked Sea Scallops
If you're looking to treat yourself, these Parmesan and breadcrumb-crusted sea scallops are a darn good way to do it. This recipe requires very little prep, practically no cleanup, and boy are the results delicious!
There's something about scallops that just feels decadent, and these are no exception. It's an elegant meal that you can throw together in no time so you can treat yourself any day of the week!
Using quality scallops is the most important factor in this recipe. For help finding the best scallops, read our informational article all about scallops.
- Sea Scallops - 16-20 sea scallops (jumbo scallops).
- Salt & Pepper - ¼ teaspoon each of salt & pepper.
- Paprika - ¼ teaspoon paprika.
- Panko Breadcrumbs - ½ cup of plain Panko breadcrumbs.
- Parmesan Cheese - ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan with some reserved for sprinkling over the top of the scallops.
- Parsley - 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
- Butter - 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter.
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter (optional) - 2 tablespoons, melted for coating bottom of your baking dish before adding and topping the scallops.
- Chipotle Chili Powder - ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder.
- Lemon - Fresh lemon zest for mixing into the breadcrumb topping.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
I find the slight kick from chipotle chili powder combined with the citrus flavor of lemon zest adds incredible flavor, but of course these scallops are delicious without them. Grab a baking dish and a mixing bowl and let's get started!
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C). If desired, you may coat the bottom of your baking dish with the optional 2 tablespoons of butter at this time.
- Dry the scallops. Pat 16-20 sea scallops dry with paper towels and remove any tough side muscle, if any, by pulling it off with your fingers.
- Make topping. Combine ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (if using),½ cup Panko breadcrumbs, ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese (reserving a bit to top the scallops later), 2 tablespoons parsley, 4 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and the optional lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly distributed.
- Top the scallops. Place the sea scallops in a single layer in your baking dish and top them with the breadcrumb mixture. Sprinkle the reserved bit of Parmesan over the top.
- Bake. Bake the prepared scallops for 15-18 minutes, or until golden-brown, and serve right away.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Overcooking scallops can make them rubbery. The scallops are done when the crust is golden-brown and the scallops are opaque throughout.
- Storing: Store leftover scallops refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Reheating: Reheat leftover scallops in a covered baking dish in the oven set to 275°F (135°C) for 10 minutes. At the 10 minute mark, check if they are warmed through. If not, bake for 5 more minutes. You can quickly pop them under the broiler uncovered to re-crisp the breaded topping.
🦀 More Incredible Seafood!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
- 2 tablespoon butter (optional- melted for coating bottom of dish before adding and topping scallops)
- ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (optional)
- lemon (optional- freshly zested)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C). If desired, you may coat the bottom of your baking dish with the optional 2 tablespoons of butter at this time.2 tablespoon butter
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels and remove any tough side muscle, if any, by pulling it off with your fingers.16-20 sea scallops
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt & pepper, paprika, chipotle chili powder (if using), Panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, olive oil, butter, and the optional lemon zest if desired. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed.¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder, ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs, ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoon parsley, 4 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoon olive oil, lemon
- Place the sea scallops in a single layer in your baking dish and top them with the breadcrumb mixture. Sprinkle the reserved bit of Parmesan over the top.
- Bake the breadcrumb topped scallops in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- For tips on choosing the best scallops, check out our informational post all about scallops.
- The side-muscle is much tougher than the meat of the scallop, and is typically crescent shaped.
- The scallops are done when the crust is golden-brown and the scallops are opaque throughout. Overcooking scallops can make them rubbery.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!