Here's what to do with leftover Christmas cookies so that all of your tasty baked goods don't have to go to waste! Instead of tossing them out or keeping them in the freezer, why not repurpose them into some new tasty treats? From ice cream sundaes to pie crusts and even cookie butter, you can't go wrong with any of these sweet ideas!
Ideas For Leftover Christmas Cookies
When the holidays come to an end, you may find that you are left with a plethora of leftover Christmas cookies. It feels wrong to toss them out, considering you worked hard on them. However, you always seem to have extras, even when exclusively sticking to your Christmas-cookie-only diet.
Don't worry, I've compiled a list to help you solve this problem! Of course, you can keep them in the freezer and figure out what to do with them later. On the other hand, you can try out some of these fun and tasty ideas!
- Ideas For Leftover Christmas Cookies
- 1. Make Some Pie Crust
- 2. Use Them As Ice Cream Toppings
- 3. Make An Icebox Cake
- 4. Add Them To Milkshakes
- 5. Make Homemade Cookies-N-Cream Ice Cream
- 6. Cookie Crunch Frosting
- 7. Enjoy Some Cookie Butter
- 8. Cookie Truffles
- 9. Make A Tasty Parfait
- 10. Garnish The Rims Of Your Glasses
- 11. Crumb Topping
- 12. Freeze Them For Later
- 🎄 Best Christmas Cookie Recipes
- 📋 Recipe
1. Make Some Pie Crust
Cookie crusts are a tasty addition to any pie or bar recipe that truly takes the flavors to the next level! You can mix and match different flavor combinations based on the cookies you are using as well as the filling.
While I do enjoy a classic Oreo cookie crust, the same idea works with any of your favorite holiday cookies! All you need to do is toss your cookies into a food processor and pulse them until they turn into a fine crumb.
The exact amount you need depends on whether you are making a cheesecake, cookie or pie bars, a tart, or pie.
For pies or tarts, you'll want about 2 cups of cookie crumbs combined with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. For cheesecakes or deep-dish pies, combine 3 cups or crushed cookies with 6 tablespoons of melted butter.
Simply press the cookie and butter mixture into your pan and you are ready to go!
2. Use Them As Ice Cream Toppings
Nothing says 'sundae topping' like a big bowl of crushed holiday cookies! Mix and match your favorite Christmas cookies with some decadent ice cream flavors!
Alternatively, you can use your whole leftover cookies to make some tasty ice cream sandwiches!
3. Make An Icebox Cake
An icebox cake is a no-bake dessert that consists of a dish that is layered with items such as cookies, pudding, whipped topping, fruit, cream, and/or nuts!
Even if your cookies are a little stale, they will still taste great in an icebox cake because they are fully coated with other tasty ingredients!
4. Add Them To Milkshakes
If you've ever had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen or a Sonic Blast, you know exactly where I'm going with this. Go ahead an grab a blender to whip up your favorite flavor of milkshake and then mix some crushed cookies right in!
5. Make Homemade Cookies-N-Cream Ice Cream
Cookies n cream ice cream is one of the most popular flavors out there. Why not go ahead and make your own version?
Traditional cookies n cream features Oreo style cookies. However, you can easily swap those out for any leftover cookies you have on hand! You can either make the ice cream from scratch or simply stir the cookies in to some ice cream you already have!
6. Cookie Crunch Frosting
Go ahead and finely crush your cookies using a food processor or rolling pin. Then, mix them into your favorite frosting recipe for some extra texture and flavor!
Trust me, this will completely transform the cake you are about to frost into something extra special! You can opt for a homemade buttercream or even use a simple store-bought frosting. Either way, the addition of some crumbled cookies will really make your cake shine!
7. Enjoy Some Cookie Butter
If you've never tasted cookie butter before, you need to run to the store and grab some right now (or make some with your leftover cookies!) It is the same concept of peanut butter, but with cookies instead of peanuts, making it a great option for individuals with peanut allergies!
In short, it is made by blending your cookies together with butter or oil. It is super simple to make and tastes just as delicious as it sounds!
8. Cookie Truffles
Imagine some tasty Oreo balls (like cake balls, but with cookies) and then recreate those using your favorite Christmas cookies! Go ahead and grab your preferred recipe and simply swap out the crushed cookies for what you have on hand!
9. Make A Tasty Parfait
For a sweet and decadent breakfast option, layer your cookies with some fresh fruit, yogurt, and syrups of your choice! You can really be creative as you like with the mix-ins. I'm sure it will taste great no matter the combinations you choose!
10. Garnish The Rims Of Your Glasses
Remember those milkshakes I mentioned earlier? Well go ahead and kick them up a notch by garnishing the rim of your glass with some cookies, too!
11. Crumb Topping
Making a crumb topping is very similar to making a cookie crust for a pie or tart! Simply crush the cookies and combine them with some melted butter. Mix them together until you have a crumbly consistency and then sprinkle it over top any of your favorite pies, cakes, or bars!
12. Freeze Them For Later
Last, but not least, you can always just store your cookies for later. You can keep them in the freezer and enjoy them at a later date, or use the time in the freezer to decide what you want to do with them.
Go ahead and place your leftover cookies into a freezer-safe storage bag, label them, and pop them into the freezer until you are ready to enjoy them!
I hope you enjoyed these fun ideas for what to do with leftover Christmas cookies! Which one are you wanting to try this year? Leave a comment down below and let me know!
🎄 Best Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Christmas Gumdrop Cookies - Colorful red and green gumdrops decorate these festive cookies!
- Christmas Cookies - These traditional Christmas cookies are beautiful to look at and fun to eat!
- Christmas M&M Cookies - Using red and green M&M candies makes these classic cookies extra festive!
- Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms - Chocolate cookies are topped with a peppermint Hershey's kiss for a real wintertime treat!
- Chocolate Blossom Cookies - Chocolate kisses are pressed into freshly baked dark chocolate cookies for a rich and decadent desert.
- Melting Moments - These tender cookies are so buttery and soft that they will literally melt in your mouth!
What To Do With Leftover Christmas Cookies: Vintage Betty Crocker Rolled Sugar Cookies (Fun & Tasty Ideas)
- Mix the shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring together thoroughly (best to cream the the shortening and sugar together until smooth first). Blend in the flour, baking powder, and salt.¾ cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 ½ cups Gold Medal (all-purpose) flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- Cover and chill the dough for at least an hour.
- Heat oven to 400°F (205°C) and line your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough to ¼ inch thickness on a lightly floured pastry mat or board. Cut out desired shapes and transfer them to your baking sheet(s). Bake 6-8 minutes or until very lightly brown.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!