This delicious pumpkin pie spice is a simple blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves with a few extras for the best flavor! The recipe can be scaled up or down to suit your needs and is absolutely perfect for your fall and pumpkin-based baking! You'll never use store-bought pumpkin pie spice again!
Best Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
That delicious spiced pumpkin flavor is easier to make at home than you think! Best of all, the main ingredients are likely already in your pantry and ready to use! There's also the added bonus that it only takes a few minutes to measure and combine before being on your way to pure pumpkin-spiced heaven!!
I don't typically start my fall baking until the leaves are actually falling (that's the Minnesotan in me trying to stave off winter for as long as possible)! My friends in warmer climates, however, have no problem with anticipating the arrival of fall and all of the spectacular flavors that come along with that season.
- Best Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 🥘 Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients
- 🔪 How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- 🥡 Storing
- 🥧 Ways To Use Pumpkin Spice
- ❓ Is Pumpkin Pie Spice The Same As Allspice?
- ❓ Is Pumpkin Pie Spice Keto-Friendly?
- ❓ What Is Pumpkin Pie Spice Made Of?
- 🎃 Recipes Using Pumpkin Spice!
- 📋 Recipe
For you, my friends and family, and everyone that is still capable of wearing t-shirts and shorts, here is my spice blend that is truly the best!
🥘 Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients
My base recipe uses the core 5 ingredients that are typically found, in some variation of quantities, in most of your commercially available pumpkin spice blends. My added spices, if you have them on hand, can take this easy homemade spice mix from great to AMAZING!
- Cinnamon - 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- Ginger - 2 teaspoons of ground ginger.
- Nutmeg - 2 teaspoons of ground nutmeg.
- Allspice - 1 teaspoon of ground allspice.
- Cloves - 1 teaspoon of ground cloves.
- Orange Peel (optional) - 1 teaspoon of orange peel.
- Mace (optional) - ½ teaspoon of mace.
- Cardamom (optional) - ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts, & instructions!*
🔪 How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
I strongly recommend using the optional ingredients to get the best flavor possible. All you'll need for this easy recipe is a mixing bowl!
This recipe will make 5 tablespoons of the most perfect pumpkin pie spice you've ever had! If you do a lot of fall-time baking, go ahead and double the batch!
- Combine. In a small mixing bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons each of ground ginger and ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon each of ground allspice, ground cloves, and orange peel, and ½ teaspoon each of mace and ground cardamom.
- Use or store. Use right away in your recipe or store in an airtight spice container for later.
If you love making your own seasoning blends instead of buying them from the store, check out my other seasoning blend recipes!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- You can tailor the flavor to your liking by adding more cloves, ginger, or mace. Or add more of the orange peel to enhance a citrus flavor, instead.
- To tone down or soften the spiced flavor, use more cinnamon. Adding another tablespoon of your ground cinnamon will make the other spices seem more subtle.
- Spices will lose flavor over time and the 2-3 year timeline for storing your spices can be affected by how old the spices were before being combined to make this homemade pumpkin pie spice mix.
Place the pumpkin pie spice in a spice jar or an airtight container until ready to use. Your spice blend will last up to 2-3 years when stored properly in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
It is also best to store spices away from direct sunlight, in a cabinet or your pantry.
🥧 Ways To Use Pumpkin Spice
Add your pumpkin pie spices to bread and rolls, pies and tarts, pumpkin bread and muffins, cookies, coffee and so much more! Check out the latte that I topped with homemade pumpkin pie spice whipped cream!!
Basically any recipe that calls for the addition of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves - all of these spices, many of them, and in any combination - can be spiced up with some pumpkin spice.
These are the 'warm spices' that you use all of the time when baking things like apple pies, cookies, sweet rolls, etc.
❓ Is Pumpkin Pie Spice The Same As Allspice?
Nope! Allspice is a single spice that is used within a pumpkin pie spice blend. On the other hand, pumpkin pie spice is a blend of multiple spices.
❓ Is Pumpkin Pie Spice Keto-Friendly?
Absolutely! It does contain carbs, though, so you cannot eat an unlimited amount of it. For this recipe, one serving has 3 grams of net carbs.
❓ What Is Pumpkin Pie Spice Made Of?
Pumpkin pie spice combines ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Depending on the brand you are buying, these quantities can vary.
For my recipe, I love adding in the extra orange peel, mace, and cardamom to make it extra delicious!
🎃 Recipes Using Pumpkin Spice!
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Bread with Streusel
- Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- In a small bowl combine the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves (plus optional orange peel, mace, or cardamom) and whisk until well combined.3 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon orange peel, ½ teaspoon mace, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place the pumpkin pie spice in a spice jar or an airtight container until ready to use. Your spice blend will last up to 2-3 years when stored properly in a container with a tight-fitting lid. It is also best to store spices in a cabinet. *Note that spices will lose flavor over time and that the 2-3 year timeline for storing your spices can be affected by how old the spices were before being combined to make this homemade pumpkin pie spice mix.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!