This delicious Pumpkin Pie Spice is a simple blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves with a few of my favorite spices added in to make the best pumpkin spice blend ever! The recipe can be scaled up or down to suit your needs and is absolutely perfect for your fall and pumpkin-based baking!
That delicious spiced pumpkin flavor is easier to make at home than you think!
My base recipe uses the core 5 ingredients that are typically found, in some variation of quantities, in most of your commercially available pumpkin spice blends.
My added spices, if you have them on hand, can take this easy homemade spice mix from great to AMAZING! Best of all, the main ingredients are likely already in your pantry and ready to use! There's also the added bonus that it only takes a few minutes to measure and combine before being on your way to pure pumpkin-spiced heaven!!
I don't typically start my fall baking until the leaves are actually falling (that's the Minnesotan in me trying to stave off winter for as long as possible)! My friends in warmer climates, however, have no problem with anticipating the arrival of fall and all of the spectacular flavors that come along with that season.
For you, my friends and family, and everyone that is still capable of wearing t-shirts and shorts, here is my spice blend that is truly the best!
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Allspice
- Ground Cloves
- Orange Peel - (optional)
- Mace - (optional)
- Ground Cardamom - (optional)
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the base spices including cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. My favorite optional spices to add-in for an amazing pumpkin spice mix include orange peel, cardamom, and mace.
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
- You can tailor the flavor to your liking by adding more cloves, ginger, or mace. Or add more of the orange peel to enhance a citrus flavor, instead.
- To tone down or soften the spiced flavor, use more cinnamon. Adding another tablespoon of your ground cinnamon will make the other spices seem more subtle.
🥧 Ways To Use Pumpkin Spice
Add your pumpkin pie spices to breads and rolls, pies and tarts, pumpkin breads and muffins, cookies, coffee and so much more! Check out my latte that I topped with homemade pumpkin pie spice whipped cream!!
Basically any recipe that calls for the addition of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves - all of these spices, many of them, and in any combination - can be spiced up with some pumpkin spice. These are the 'warm spices' that you use all of the time when baking things like apple pies, cookies, sweet rolls, etc.
Place the pumpkin pie spice in a spice jar or an airtight container until ready to use. Your spice blend will last up to 2-3 years when stored properly in a container with a tight-fitting lid. It is also best to store spices in a cabinet.
*Note that spices will lose flavor over time and that the 2-3 year timeline for storing your spices can be affected by how old the spices were before being combined to make this homemade pumpkin pie spice mix.
🎃 Recipes Using Pumpkin Spice
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp orange peel (optional)
- ½ tsp mace (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves (plus optional orange peel, mace, or cardamom) and whisk until well combined.3 Tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground allspice, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp orange peel, ½ tsp mace, ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Place the pumpkin pie spice in a spice jar or an airtight container until ready to use. Your spice blend will last up to 2-3 years when stored properly in a container with a tight-fitting lid. It is also best to store spices in a cabinet. *Note that spices will lose flavor over time and that the 2-3 year timeline for storing your spices can be affected by how old the spices were before being combined to make this homemade pumpkin pie spice mix.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!