Who knew this simple Leftover Prime Rib Hash would be so incredible with its pan fried potatoes and prime rib beef chunks?! I’m not kidding! The first time I used the leftovers from a prime rib roast for a Christmas morning breakfast hash the whole family was just stunned at how great it was!
Leftover Prime Rib Hash Recipe
Some things are so incredibly delicious, and it’s really hard to share a taste experience here with you via words and photos. So just know that this breakfast is one that I wish I could set you all here at my kitchen island and serve it up to you fresh from the skillet! It would be so rewarding to see you enjoy this leftover prime rib hash!
When you make this at home for yourself, don’t skip the egg. Even if you don’t like sunny side up eggs, make sure that you leave your egg yolk fairly runny as the yolk running over your hash and combining with the prime rib and potatoes is just fabulous!
What to do with leftover prime rib roast or roast beef??
Enjoy some of my other fantastic leftover prime rib recipes include the wildly popular recipes for Leftover Prime Rib Beef Stroganoff, the rich and hearty Leftover Prime Rib Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms, and my easy to make Leftover Prime Rib Tacos, Leftover Prime Rib Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich or Leftover Prime Rib Dip Sandwich.
How To Make Prime Rib Breakfast Hash
Now typically I have the rendered fat saved from a holiday roast or spiced Christmas goose ( which, by the way, makes the best ever pan fried spiced breakfast potatoes ). So to make this recipe, I use the saved rendered fat from the prime rib roast.
If you don’t have that golden jar of rendered deliciousness, go ahead and start your large skillet or non-stick frying pan up with some olive oil. Bring the skillet with the oil to medium heat.
Leftover Prime Rib Recipes
- Leftover Prime Rib Beef Stroganoff (Prime Stroganoff)
- Leftover Prime Rib Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms
- Leftover Prime Rib Tacos
- Leftover Prime Rib Dip Sandwich
Leftover Turkey Meals
- Leftover Turkey Curry
- Leftover Turkey a la King
- Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
Leftover Prime Rib Hash
- 2 cups prime rib roast (1/4" cubed)
- 2 cups potatoes (1/4" cubed, I use russet potatoes or yukon golds)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (minced)
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground sage
- 1/8 tsp tarragon
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 1/8 cup milk, and the remainder 1/8 cup au jus)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs (4 eggs = 1 per person per serving, use more if you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp parsley (chopped, optional for garnish)
- Use either the rendered fat from your prime rib roast, or extra virgin olive oil, and heat your large skillet or frying pan to medium heat. Cook the cubed potatoes, minced onion and garlic on medium heat for about 3 minutes until the potatoes are starting to get tender and the onion is translucent.
- Add the seasoning: turmeric, nutmeg, paprika, ground sage, tarragon, and salt & pepper (to taste). Cook for 8-10 minutes, browning the potatoes. Add the cubed prime rib and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Combine the milk (or your mixed milk and au jus) with the flour and stir it into the hash mixture. Use your spatula to spread the hash evenly throughout the pan and flatten the hash. Cook on medium high for an additional 5 minutes, flipping the hash as needed to brown your hash and get your desired level of crispiness. *Leave the hash in halves or quarters of the flattened hash, turning the whole pieces to brown. Break up the hash once both sides are browned and continue to brown to your preferred consistency.
- In another frying pan or skillet, cook your eggs sunny side up to serve on your hash. Dish up the leftover prime rib hash with the egg(s) served on top, add parsley for garnish (optional).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!