Easy Japanese steakhouse style Hibachi Chicken cooks up in just 10 minutes! This tasty chicken entree is made with tender pieces of chicken breast, sliced mushrooms, and a touch of butter and lemon juice!
Seriously Addictive Japanese Steakhouse Chicken and Mushrooms
That wonderful chicken entree featuring tender bite sized pieces of chicken and mushrooms that you love at your favorite hibachi restaurant is incredibly easy to make at home! It’s super quick and easy, so there’s absolutely no reason not to give it a try yourself!
This hibachi chicken recipe is indeed the actual, authentic recipe that Benihana shared on their website in the early 2000’s! It was shared as an individual serving, so be sure to use the recipe card slider to adjust your servings as needed.
Not only is hibachi chicken ridiculously yummy and highly addictive, it truly is a chicken dinner that can be on the table in 10 minutes! You’ll only be waiting on the rice for this dinner, so start it ahead of time while you prep your chicken and any desired veggie sides…or make my hibachi noodles at the same time!
What You’ll Need
It only takes a few ingredients to pull together a wonderfully tasty hibachi chicken dinner!
- Cooking Oil – We want to cook on pretty high heat, so using oil that can withstand that heat is important. Choose an oil with a high smoke point or go with the Benihana recommended safflower oil!
- Chicken – Use boneless, skinless chicken breast meat for this quick and easy recipe. Cube the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Mushrooms – Just a few white button mushrooms ( I also like the ‘baby bella’ or cremini mushrooms in this ).
- Butter – Rich and creamy butter to add at the end and finish your hibachi chicken entree perfectly!
- Lemon Juice – Another flavor enhancer that is used to finish the cooking chicken right before serving. Don’t be shy, an extra lemon wedge served with your chicken dinner is ideal!
- Sesame Seeds – The last touch to make this chicken complete. Just a little bit goes a long way, but adds delightful texture and flavor!
Want more great Hibachi Recipes?! Check out all of my fantastically flavorful grilled foods here!
How To Make Authentic Benihana Chicken
Start with preheating your non-stick skillet, frying pan, or flat top griddle to medium-high heat ( or 400ºF /204ºC if using an electric skillet ). Add the cooking oil, then the cut chicken and sliced mushrooms.
Cook the chicken and mushrooms for 6 – 8 minutes, or until the chicken pieces no longer showing any raw, or slightly pink coloring. Stir the chicken and mushrooms occasionally during the cooking time to cook the chicken evenly. *The mushrooms can be added later. Add them in the last few minutes of the cooking time, if you prefer your mushrooms to be less cooked.
When the chicken is thoroughly cooked through, add the butter, squeezed lemon juice, and sesame seeds. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and melt the butter. *The sesame seeds can be toasted prior to starting the chicken and mushrooms if desired. They can also be reserved for garnish when serving.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste if desired. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Storing Your Hibachi Chicken
Store any remaining hibachi chicken in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Refrigerated, cooked chicken can be stored for 3 – 4 days, but is best used with 1 – 2 days.
Reheating Your Leftover Chicken
Since cooked foods tend to finish cooling in the refrigerator, they accumulate moisture in their container. To get rid of this unwanted moisture, and return my hibachi chicken to near ‘just cooked‘ taste and flavor, I reheat my hibachi chicken in a non-stick skillet, frying pan, or flat top griddle.
Just like the cooking instructions, bring your non-stick skillet to medium-high heat with a small amount of oil. Add the cooked hibachi chicken and cook until warmed through, usually about 2 – 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to warm your hibachi chicken evenly.
- 1 tsp cooking oil (Benihana's recipe suggests Safflower oil)
- 7 ounces chicken breast (boneless, skinless - cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 mushrooms (cut or sliced into 8 pieces)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Add the cooking oil to a non-stick skillet or frying pan that is preheated to medium high heat. *400 degrees F (204 degrees C) if using an electric skillet.
- Place chicken and sliced mushrooms in the heated skillet, cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken is done and no pink is showing on the pieces. Stir occasionally while cooking the chicken and mushrooms. *The mushrooms can be added in the last few minutes, if you prefer to have your mushrooms less cooked.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the butter, lemon juice, and sesame seeds. Stir to combine ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!