A tasty hamburger pie casserole is a hearty family favorite comfort food dinner combining ground beef, green beans, and mashed potatoes! Casseroles are a staple of family dinners, and this hamburger casserole recipe with creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes is one that you will definitely want to save to cook up frequently!
Hamburger Pie Casserole with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
As is true of most casseroles, this dish is easy to prepare with a quick prep time. The mashed potatoes layer can be as simple as boxed potato flakes, leftover potatoes, or freshly mashed potatoes with your favorite flavors...try adding a tablespoon of horseradish for a truly mouthwatering mashed layer!
The casserole itself is one that can be modified readily and heavily as well, you could substitute a can of condensed tomato soup for your tomato sauce or add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste (which we frequently do).
A great variation to cottage pie or Shepherd's Pie.
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ½ cup Minced Onion
- 32 ounces green beans - Use 2 16-ounce cans of green beans, drained, or use approximately 1 ½ to 2 pounds fresh green beans.
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ teaspoon each, Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Use my recipe or use your favorite mashed potatoes, or instant mashed potatoes. Roughly 5-6 cups mashed potatoes.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 How To Make Hamburger Pie
Season your meat heavily, add some Worcestershire or Balsamic vinegar while cooking...and/or, add extra ingredients like the mushrooms that I had on hand in the video.
- To make this Hamburger Pie, start out by making your mashed potatoes.
- Next, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease your 1.5 quart casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bring a large frying pan or skillet to medium high heat, cook the minced onion and brown your ground beef until no longer pink inside, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper for seasoning, then add green beans and tomato sauce.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to your casserole or baking dish as the base layer.
- Cover the bottom of the dish completely, spreading the ground beef mixture until it is relatively even.
- Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds on top of the ground beef mixture, or spread them evenly.
- Top the casserole off with shredded or grated cheddar cheese and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese topping is golden and sauce is bubbling up around the sides of the dish.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Casseroles are versatile and great for using up food, that means that you have flexibility in your ground beef, green bean, and mashed potato amounts.
- This recipe will freeze for later, just allow it to thaw before cooking.
🍲 More Great Casseroles!
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Leftover Lamb Lancashire Hot Pot
- Cauliflower Ham Pasta Casserole
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Doritos Chicken Casserole with Cream Cheese
Hamburger Pie Casserole
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Prepare the creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes that make this casserole topping so wonderful. Or use your favorite mashed potatoes, or store bought. You'll need about 5-6 cups worth of mash.1 Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Hamburger Pie Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 1 ½ quart casserole dish or a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and ground beef over medium high heat until ground beef is well browned and no longer pink (about 8-10 minutes). Add seasoning and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef, then the green beans and tomato sauce.1 lb ground beef, ½ cup minced onion, 32 oz green beans, 1 cup tomato sauce, ½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine ingredients and then add them as the base layer in the casserole dish or pan. Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds onto the ground beef mixture layer, spread evenly if desired. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the edges are slightly golden.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!