A great variation to the U.K.’s Cottage and Shepard’s Pie.
Casseroles are a staple of family dinners, and this Hamburger Pie Casserole Recipe with Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes is one that you will definitely want to save to cook up frequently!
Hamburger Pie Casserole with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
As is true of most casseroles, this dish is easy to prepare with a quick prep time. The mashed potatoes layer can be as simple as boxed potato flakes, leftover potatoes, or freshly mashed potatoes with your favorite flavors…try adding a tablespoon of horseradish for a truly mouthwatering mashed layer!
The casserole itself is one that can be modified readily and heavily as well, you could substitute a can of condensed tomato soup for your tomato sauce or add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste (which we frequently do).
Season your meat heavily, add some Worcestershire or Balsamic vinegar while cooking…and/or, add extra ingredients like the mushrooms that I had on hand in the video.
To Make Your Hamburger Pie Casserole…
To make this Hamburger Pie, start out by making your mashed potatoes.
Next, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease your 1.5 quart casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking pan. Bring a large frying pan or skillet to medium high heat, cook the minced onion and brown your ground beef until no longer pink inside, about 8-10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper for seasoning, then add green beans and tomato sauce.
Transfer the ground beef mixture to your casserole or baking dish as the base layer. Cover the bottom of the dish completely, spreading the ground beef mixture until it is relatively even.
Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds on top of the ground beef mixture, or spread them evenly. Top the casserole off with shredded or grated cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese topping is golden and sauce is bubbling up around the sides of the dish.
*This recipe will freeze for later, just allow to come to room temperature when ready to bake before serving.
Hamburger Pie Casserole Recipe with Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb (16 oz/454 g) ground beef
- 1/2 c (115 g) minced onion
- 1-2 16 oz can (or 1 3/4 lb frozen) green beans, drained or thawed
- 1 c (225 g) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp (1.5 g) each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c (115 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Hamburger Pie Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and ground beef over medium high heat until ground beef is well browned and no longer pink (about 10 minutes). Add seasoning to the ground beef, then green beans and tomato sauce.
- Combine ingredients and then add them as the base layer in the casserole dish or pan. Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds onto the ground beef mixture layer, spread evenly if desired. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the edges are slightly golden.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!