This Banana Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel topping is quick and easy, and a rich super moist banana bread! The streusel topping for this recipe only takes an extra minute or two to make, and adds a delightfully crunchy, sweet layer of flavor!
Banana Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Recipe
This recipe is the favorite of both my son and daughter, while my husband prefers the super moist banana bread recipe that he grew up enjoying!
How To Make Streusel-Topped Banana Bread
Start out with making the streusel, then set it aside to chill in the refrigerator while preheating the oven and mixing the banana bread. This will help to keep your lovely streusel topping in place without melting into a crispy caramelized layer.
Make the Brown Sugar Streusel Topping
To make the brown sugar streusel topping combine flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt if you are using unsalted butter.
Cut the butter in using a pastry cutter or food processor, or a pair of butter knives using a criss-cross motion to cut the butter. Continue until you have a pea-sized course crumble, being careful not to mix the streusel into a dough.
Make the Banana Bread Batter
To make this perfectly sweet and moist banana bread, start by preheating your oven to 350ºF ( 175ºC ) and lightly butter or grease your 9 x 5 loaf pan. Then follow these steps for my one-bowl method for the quick bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the browned bananas and mash into the creamed mixture until the banana is in small chunks.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and combine thoroughly with the banana mixture, then add the vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
Bake the Banana Bread
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake at 350ºF (175ºC) for 60 – 65 minutes. Or until the top is a golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
*I usually top the baking banana bread loaf with streusel at the halfway point in cooking time, after the first 30 minutes. You can add it at the very beginning, but my best results are with waiting.
When done, allow the banana bread to cool while still in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Banana Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (softened, at room temperature)
- 2 1/3 cups overripe bananas (overripe, browned bananas)
- 2 large eggs (beaten, at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Make the Brown Sugar Streusel
- Combine streusel topping ingredients, blending until butter chunks are pea-size (in a food processor or by hand using pastry cutter, or a pair of butter knives in a criss-cross motion).
- Place the bowl of streusel topping in the refrigerator and chill while preheating and preparing the banana bread batter.
Make the Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt). In a separate bowl, cream softened butter and brown sugar. Stir in beaten eggs, then add mashed bananas and stir until combined.
- Stir banana mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients, just until all dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be lumpy. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. *Top with streusel topping before baking, or at the halfway point in the baking time. I like the results with waiting best.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the loaf. Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!