These easy to make no bake Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups use only 4 ingredients, and are pure snacking perfection! They're made without refined sugars and are absolutely delicious! This healthier dark chocolate dessert is better than the store bought peanut butter cups, hands down!
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups Recipe
These tasty dark chocolate almond butter cups are paleo-friendly and gluten-free but you'd never know it! My family loves them more than the commercially available Reese's peanut butter cups!
They're super easy to make and require just a few ingredients that you are likely to have on hand already! I love using Justin's brand peanut butter or almond butter when I make these, but use your choice of nut butters to really enjoy these!
How To Make Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
To start your almond butter ( or your favorite nut butter ) cups, grab a small to medium size mixing bowl. Combine the smooth or chunky no-stir almond butter with honey until smooth. Note that you can also heat the almond butter and honey mixture in a short 30 second microwave heating to make the mixture pourable.
Spoon into the mini muffin pan, with liners or not, filling each muffin cup about half way. Depending on how much I fill my muffin liners, I have made anywhere between 20 - 24 dark chocolate almond butter cups.
Melt the chocolate chips or broken chocolate bar ( I recommend 65%+ cacao content ) in a microwave safe bowl. Heat the dark chocolate chips in thirty second intervals, stirring in between heating until all of the dark chocolate is melted and smooth.
Stir in the tablespoon of cacao powder, or use cocoa powder, if desired. Spoon on top of the almond butter mixture in the mini muffin pan cups until all of the chocolate topping is used. Top with a finishing touch of freshly ground sea salt, which is also optional but highly recommended!
Place mini muffin pan tray into the freezer for about at least 30 minutes and serve after they have chilled. The almond butter cups will pop right out of the tray when you slide a butter knife down one side and lift them out, if you aren't using liners.
Storage of Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
These easy no bake dessert or snack cups are frozen to set them up, and are best served straight from the freezer. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator or freezer for up to one week.
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- 1 ½ cups Almond Butter (Smooth or chunky, No-Stir)
- 2 Tbsp honey (raw, organic)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or chipped dark chocolate bar, 65% cacao+)
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder (or cocoa powder, optional)
- In a small to medium size mixing bowl combine the almond butter and honey until well combined. Spoon the almond butter mixture into your mini muffin pan cups or liners. *I filled them a little over half way full.
- Place the almond butter filled mini muffin tray into your freezer and chill for 15-20 minutes before adding the chocolate layer.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, heating the chips for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the melting chocolate chips between heating intervals. Once melted, stir in the cacao powder (optional) and spoon onto the almond butter mixture in the mini muffin pan.
- Place the mini muffin pan in the freezer when all of the almond butter cups have been topped with the melted chocolate. Allow to cool and setup for at least 30 minutes.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!