This festive Christmas Nougat is an easy no-bake candy treat to make for the holidays! The brightly colored red and green gumdrops are dotted throughout the classic nougat recipe. Plus they make a beautiful addition to Christmas gift baskets!
Christmas Nougat Candy Recipe
My easy-to-make Christmas nougat is a fantastic no-bake method to make the popular vintage nougat! The red and green gumdrops are a tasty stir-in, plus they're available in the classic red and green Christmas colors!
Don't worry if you can't find the red and green gumdrop version, in a pinch, you can always sort your desired colors from a large pack of classic gumdrop candies. The stores that I have readily found holiday-colored gumdrops are in the recipe notes below.
Since I've always brought home nougat at Christmastime, I thought it was well past the time that I ought to try my hand at these chewy candies.
Traditionally, nougat is made with a combination of honey and egg whites, typically with almonds rather than gumdrops. However, this quick no-bake candy recipe uses butter, white chocolate chips, and marshmallows as the nougat!
Add in your festive gumdrops and you have some really pretty bite-sized nougat candies that are perfect for sharing!
My chocolate peppermint no-bake cookie is another easy holiday treat! It's a great flavor combination that everyone loves!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 16 oz mini marshmallows (one large 16 oz package or two 8 ounce packages)
- 16 oz white chocolate chips (approximately 2 ⅔ cups white chocolate chips)
- 2 cups gumdrops
- Prepare either a 9x13 baking pan for a thinner layer of nougat or an 8x8 baking pan for taller nougat squares. Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- For either method, microwave or stovetop, it is best to melt the white chocolate with the butter before adding marshmallows.
- Microwave: In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the white chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 1 minute on high, then stir. Continue heating in 30-second increments and stirring between each heating. Repeat until the milk chocolate is melted. Add the marshmallows and heat in 30-second increments, stirring each time until you can fully combine the marshmallows and melted white chocolate.
- Stovetop (Double Boiler): Use a large glass mixing bowl that will safely set atop your saucepan. Combine the white chocolate chips and butter. Bring a saucepan with about an inch of water to a low boil and place the bowl with the butter and white chocolate chips on top of the saucepan. Heat the white chocolate chips until fully melted. Add the marshmallows in 2-3 portions so that it melts easier with this method. Stir the marshmallows and cook until fully melted before adding the next portion of marshmallows. Continue until fully combined then remove from heat.
- Set the bowl with the nougat base aside for 2-3 minutes to cool before adding the gumdrops. *You can cut the gumdrops into smaller chunks if desired.
- Add the gumdrops and fold them into the nougat, then transfer it into your prepared baking pan. Use a lightly greased sheet of parchment paper or spatula to spread the nougat to the pan corners in an even layer.
- Transfer the nougat to your refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight to fully setup.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!