The combination in this simple Sauteed Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes side dish is a match made in heaven! The delicious asparagus is complemented by the tangy cherry tomatoes to make a dish that's perfect for weeknight dinners, holiday sides, or special occasions!
Sauteed Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes Recipe
If you're looking for a quick and incredibly tasty way to cook up your asparagus, you simply need to try out this Sauteed Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes side dish! The tomatoes add a delightful tangy sauce to the usual asparagus side dish, and your asparagus is so much better when sautéed rather than steamed!
Having grown up eating asparagus that had simply been steamed, both my husband and I had totally missed out on how much more flavorful asparagus can truly be. The difference is amazing! Once you start cooking asparagus by other methods, you will get quite adventurous in your flavor combinations ( and thoroughly enjoy the rewarding results )!!
🤔 What Is Sauteed Asparagus with Cherry Tomatoes
Sauteed asparagus and cherry tomatoes is an easy side dish that combines pan or skillet-seared asparagus with cherry tomatoes. The resulting asparagus is cooked until al denté, or until it reaches your own desired level of tenderness. The pan-seared tomatoes add a lovely touch of tangy acidity and the juices from the burst tomatoes form a light sauce with the olive oil.
This spectacularly tasty side dish is equally spectacular in how super quick and easy it is to make! The flavors come together for an amazing dish that will make you look like a brilliant cook!
Grab a large skillet, cast iron skillet, or frying pan and the following ingredients:
- Asparagus - Tender spears of asparagus add an earthy flavor to any dish! The thinner the spears, the better - these are the tender, young asparagus shoots that were harvested at the perfect time! Be sure to trim the ends of the asparagus stalks, as the base will have a more 'woody' texture that will take away from how perfectly cooked your asparagus is. You can cut the ends off at what you feel is the end of the tougher base, or snap the asparagus spears.
- Cherry Tomatoes - Fresh cherry tomatoes add vibrant color and so much flavor to this easy side! You can use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, depending on what you have on hand from your garden or what's available in your local stores. Whenever I can find my favorite multi-color heirloom cherry tomatoes, they are what I prefer to use in this recipe.
- Garlic - Finely minced or chopped garlic adds flavor and combines perfectly with the asparagus and tomatoes! Depending on your own tastes, you can definitely go lighter or heavier on the garlic content with your sautéed vegetables.
- Cooking Oil - I like to use extra virgin olive oil for this sautéed dish, however, olive oil works just as well. You may find that you prefer a more flavorless cooking oil like coconut oil.
- Herbs & Seasoning - Keep it basic with just a touch of salt and pepper, or add in some fresh herbs like chopped fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano, or marjoram. They are all delicious!
- Parmesan - Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is the perfect touch to top off this vegetable side! It's completely optional but highly recommended for rounding out the flavors. Other hard Italian cheeses like Romano or Asiago cheese work just as well! Note that the Asiago is a much more pungent cheese and you will not need as much as if you were using Parmesan.
Some great stir-in ideas for this easy side dish are finely chopped shallots or onions, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, pine nuts, bacon, mushrooms, or a splash of Balsamic vinegar.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Make Asparagus & Cherry Tomatoes
Once you have your asparagus spears washed and trimmed, and the cherry tomatoes halved, follow these steps to make your sautéed side:
- Heat a large skillet, cast iron skillet, or frying pan with the olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and halved cherry tomatoes to the heated pan and sauté for 1 - 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus spears, stir to combine, then continue to cook for 6 - 8 minutes. Stir occasionally while sauteing. Add salt and pepper, and any additional herbs or seasoning desired to taste.
- Remove from heat when the asparagus is cooked to an al denté firmness ( still some firmness in the center ), or your desired level of tenderness. Garnish with Parmesan cheese when serving.
🥕 More Great Vegetable Recipes
- Lemon Asparagus Orzo
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Sautéed Zucchini and Yellow Squash
- Sautéed Balsamic Mushrooms
- Hibachi Vegetables
- Collard Greens With Ham Hocks
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Sauteed Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin, or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely minced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (rinsed, cut in half)
- 1 lb asparagus (1 bunch, rinsed, ends trimmed)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated, optional)
- Bring a large skillet with the olive oil to medium high heat, add the minced garlic to heated oil and then the halved cherry (or grape) tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning your garlic.
- Add the asparagus spears (cut in half, if you want to cook them faster) and stir to mix with garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the asparagus has reached your desired level of tenderness. Add salt and pepper (to taste). Serve immediately, sprinkle Parmesan cheese once dished up (optional).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!