This hearty Red Miso Porterhouse Steak is perfect for lunch, dinner, or an any-time treat!! Seasoned with a red miso sauce and pan seared to medium rare doneness with a tangy crust and juicy, tender steak!!
Try out these tasty Red Miso Roasted Cauliflower for more red miso deliciousness!
Since I haven't found a local store that carries any miso paste ( red, yellow, or white ) I try to plan out as many dishes as possible before I run out again. This flavorful pan seared red miso porterhouse steak is a long-standing favorite in my family, and we slice and serve as a finger-food snack or appetizer!
This is also an incredibly easy and super tasty beef recipe to serve as a main for your family dinners! Pan sear the delicious marinated steak and serve with an Asian inspired salad using my authentic Benihana ginger salad dressing!
How To Make Red Miso Porterhouse Steak
Make Your Red Miso Sauce and Marinate the Porterhouse
Combine the red miso sauce ingredients in a small bowl. The red miso paste, sesame seed oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and seasoning ( red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ground ginger, and pepper ) will combine to make a thick sauce.
Brush the sauce onto and coat both sides of the porterhouse steak, then set aside for at least 30 minutes to marinate ( and warm to room temperature ).
Pan Sear the Red Miso Steak
Warm a cast iron skillet, large frying pan or non-stick skillet to medium high heat with the second 1 teaspoon portion of sesame seed oil. I cooked this steak to a perfect medium rare, at medium high heat for 4 - 5 minutes on each side. Cook until the steak reaches your desired level of doneness, then remove from heat.
Transfer to a plate or cutting board and allow the cooked steak to rest for about 5 minutes, or half your cooking time. The slice and serve as desired. Enjoy!
This red miso steak is wonderful on its own, but even more incredibly tasty when you make some of my hibachi dipping sauces to serve with it! Try my hibachi ginger sauce, hibachi mustard sauce or yum yum sauce to really make this complete!!
You Might Also Like These...
Red Miso Porterhouse Steak
- 1 porterhouse steak
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil (plus 1 teaspoon for skillet)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl: red miso paste, sesame seed oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ground ginger, and pepper. Coat both sides of your porterhouse steak, then set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes (allowing the steak to also warm to room temperature).
- Heat your skillet or frying pan to medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil before adding the steak. Place the porterhouse in the middle of the skillet or frying pan and cook for 5 minutes per side or until it is your desired level of doneness.
- Allow the steak to rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Slice down the bone and into strips as pictured, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!