This simple Pork Dry Rub blends a touch of brown sugar sweetness with flavorful spices for amazingly tasty results! Whether you're roasting, grilling, pan-searing, or smoking pork, you'll love the way this dry rub combines common ingredients for an extra special touch!
This fantastic dry rub is great for all types of pork cuts and chicken too!
My tasty dry rub is great on all cuts of pork including pork chops, ribs, pork tenderloin, and more! You can use the seasoning for all sorts of cooking methods too!
It's a perfect blend to spice up your cast iron pork chops, make some smoked St. Louis pork ribs, or season your baby back ribs! You can slow cook the pork, or sear it to perfection over hot, open flames on the grill!
This easy pork dry rub blend is ready to go as-is, or use it as a base and customize it for your own tastes!
Nothing fancy here! Just some really great herbs and spices to make the flavor of your pork shine! It's practically free to make and uses ingredients that you are likely to already have on hand!
- Brown Sugar - Start with ¼ cup of light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, cane sugar, or turbinado could also be used for richer flavor. *Be careful as the higher molasses content of dark brown sugar could overpower the other seasonings in the rub.
- Paprika - Use about 1 tablespoon, regular or smoked paprika work great here.
- Sage - A ½ a teaspoon of ground sage or rubbed sage.
- Garlic Powder - A teaspoon adds just the right amount of garlic flavor.
- Onion Powder - You will want to adjust this to your liking, I personally use a teaspoon.
- Dry Mustard - Just 1 teaspoon makes a huge difference for this rub.
- Salt & Pepper - For salt I use pink Himalayan salt - sea salt, or kosher are also great choices. For the black pepper freshly ground course pepper or ground black pepper can be used.
Add some heat to your rub by incorporating some cayenne pepper, dried chipotle, chili powder, or crushed red pepper flakes too! Start with a small amount and adjust to taste to make this dry rub your own. Yum!
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Adjust for your taste-buds! If you like salty flavors, add more to the rub, or just omit it and salt after the meat is done. You can't remove salt once it's added so always start with less and add more to taste!
- After applying the rub to your pork allow enough time for the rub to infuse the skin of the meat and help create a flavorful bark, at least 1 hour but longer is better.
- If storing this rub, before use shake or stir as it will settle and slightly harden.
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
Just a few minutes and you're on your way to making a fabulous dinner! Homemade spices blends like this dry rub are so easy to make at home.
- Gather all ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl combine all of the spices with the brown sugar.
- Combine the rub ingredients. Mix completely (be sure there are no clumps) until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the brown sugar.
- Season or store. Apply the rub to your pork liberally.If You won't be using the entire portion of dry rub at this time, transfer the remaining pork rub to an airtight container for storage.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
This rub can be stored in a rust-proof airtight container or glass spice jar for up to 6 months in a cool, dry environment. You'll want to keep moisture out of this dry rub as it contains brown sugar which is prone to clumping.
🧂 More DIY Seasoning Blends
- BBQ Chicken Rub
- Beef Stew Seasoning
- Spaghetti Seasoning
- Italian Seasoning
- Pot Roast Seasoning
- Meatloaf Seasoning
Pork Dry Rub
- Gather your seasoning and measure them out into a small bowl.¼ cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each, salt & pepper, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard, ½ teaspoon ground sage
- Mix all of the spices together until fully incorporated into the brown sugar and evenly distributed.
- Apply the rub to your pork, if not using right away store in an air tight container.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!