This stuffed Hasselback Chicken Breast with Spinach, Bacon, and Mozzarella Cheese is a family-favorite chicken entree that is perfect for any night of the week! Plus, it's terrifically easy to make and cooks up wonderfully juicy!
Stuffed Hasselback Chicken Breasts are a Tasty Chicken Dinner!
Tired of plain, old chicken breasts for dinner? My hasselback chicken recipe kicks everything up a notch by adding some fresh and yummy ingredients that will make the flavor explode!
This one-pan meal in a casserole dish is SO easy to make, but perfect for when you want an impressive-looking dinner for guests! The colors look gorgeous on the plate with a green side dish. The flavors are decadent, but it’s actually quite a light meal so you can save room for dessert!
🐓 What Is Hasselback Chicken?
You thought hasselback was a Swedish potato dish, right? You are correct!
The name of this recipe comes from a potato dish that is prepared in a similar way. It's a recipe that was developed at Hasselbacken Restaurant of Stockholm, Sweden.
Large potatoes are sliced part of the way and filled with sour cream, cheese, scallions, bacon, or whatever you desire. They are also delicious with simply butter or olive oil and seasonings. The end result is crunchy outside and a mashed potato-like texture inside.
For this recipe, tucking the bacon, spinach, and cheese inside the chicken breasts creates little pockets of deliciousness and keeps the meat very moist. This quick and easy one-dish meal is gluten-free and keto-friendly.
Plus, you can make the recipe your own by substituting your favorite melty cheese or swapping the bacon for any other cured meat.
- Chicken breasts – Typically one breast per person, but one larger breast could certainly feed two people! You can also use chicken thighs, but they aren’t quite as thick, and you won’t be able to use as much stuffing.
- Bacon – Pan-fried or baked in the oven, just make sure it’s crispy!
- Spinach – Fresh baby leaf spinach is my favorite for this recipe because it is sweeter and more tender than mature spinach. Frozen spinach can be used if you can’t find it fresh, but it tends to be soggy and add a bitter taste.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Buy a ball of fresh mozzarella and shred it yourself to get that perfect buttery mozzarella flavor. Pre-packaged shredded mozzarella is also fine. However, it is packaged with additives that keep it from clumping (which also prevent it from melting as nicely as fresh mozzarella).
- Paprika – This has a very aromatic flavor that blends so well with the chicken and bacon!
- Salt & Pepper – These base spices intensify all the great flavors in this dish.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
Making your hasselback chicken couldn't be easier! Just slice carefully while preparing the chicken breasts, then bake to perfection!
- Prepare a glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Next, it’s time to make the slices in the chicken breast that will be filled with cheesy goodness! Make sure to only cut ¾ of the way through the chicken, leaving the bottom intact. Slices should be ½ inch apart and along the whole length of each breast.
- Season all of your chicken breasts with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Layer the bacon, spinach, and mozzarella into each slice. You could also add a thin slice of tomato for another touch of fresh flavor!
- Place in your prepared baking dish and bake at 375ºF (190ºC) for about 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken breasts to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Any leftover chicken can be refrigerated in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Wrap the cooked chicken breasts in cling film tightly and place into an airtight freezer container or plastic storage bag to freeze for up to 2 months.
You can reheat in the microwave or oven until the cheese is melted again. In the oven, it’s best to place the chicken in a dish and add a few tablespoons of chicken broth or water to the bottom. Cover the dish with foil while re-heating to keep the meat nice and moist!
Hasselback Chicken with Spinach, Bacon, and Mozzarella
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 strips bacon (small slices - or cooked and drained pieces)
- ½ cup baby leaf spinach
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and lightly coat your baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice chicken approx ¾ of the depth of the chicken with ½ inch spacing between the slices along the whole length of the chicken breast. *Be sure that your slices are not deep enough to cut through the chicken breast completely.
- Add bacon, spinach & mozzarella cheese in that order to every slit in chicken. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to your prepared baking dish and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for approx 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove the cooked hasselback chicken breasts from your oven and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.