The incredibly tasty Apple Dump Cake is a super easy dessert, despite the not-so-great name! Apple pie filling, cake mix, and butter are layered in a 9 x 13 pan and baked until golden. This is a perfect dessert for last-minute entertaining!
Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Talk about an easy dessert to put together on short notice! That's the wonderful thing about any dump cake, and this apple version turns out beautifully! My apple pie dump cake is a very popular family dessert, no matter the time of year!
Tender sliced apples are topped with a boxed yellow cake mix and melted butter, then baked until golden. Serve it up nice and hot, or allow your dump cake to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
❔ What Is
Any 'dump cake' is a cake that is made using ingredients that are literally dumped in a baking dish (or crockpot, or instant pot) together. There is no mixing required, and no extra dishes or mixing bowls are used.
Typically, fruit or canned fruit is used as the base of the cobbler-type dish. The base is topped with a boxed cake mix and a wet ingredient like melted butter or lemon-lime soda.
So my apple dump cake is an apple pie filling and cake mix dump cake. The flavor and textures are surprisingly good, and your friends won't guess that it's a cake mix recipe!
- 40 oz Apple Pie Filling (2 20 to 21 oz cans, for fresh apples see notes below)
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (white cake mix or spice cake mix also work)
- ¾ cup salted Butter (melted - or use 18 oz Sprite/7 Up/Sierra Mist lemon lime soda)
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
Using Fresh Apples Instead of Canned Apples
The baking time is long enough that even a semi-firm apple variety would work quite well.
- I would suggest peeling your apples before using them, and you would need to add some sugar and spices.
- Use a ½ cup of sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, and a ¼ teaspoon allspice with your peeled, cored, and sliced fresh apples. You will need roughly 6 cups of cut apples, or enough to cover the bottom layer of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Combine these ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl and substitute them in the directions for the canned apple pie filling.
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
- Start with preheating your oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and coating a 9 x 13 baking pan or 3-quart casserole dish with butter, or a non-stick cooking spray. Distribute the canned apple pie filling over the bottom of your baking dish.
- Next, pour the boxed yellow cake mix over the bottom layer of apple pie filling. Gently shake the pan, or tamp it down on the counter to evenly distribute the cake mix.
- Distribute the melted butter evenly over the top of the boxed cake mix, use a spoon if needed, or drizzle the melted butter into the pan.
- Bake in your preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown on the top and bubbling around the edges of the baking dish or pan. It is up to you whether you enjoy this dessert straight out of the oven, or after allowing it to cool for about 15 minutes.
I opt to eat it while it's nice and hot and serve my apple dump cake with either whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- If desired, additional spices and/or a teaspoon of vanilla extract can be added to the apple pie filling layer. A dusting of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, or allspice, are all wonderful spices to stir in quickly. *I love nutmeg, and highly suggest a nice bit of freshly grated nutmeg to this delicious apple dump cake!
- Yellowcake mix is my preferred combination in this recipe, however, white cake mix and spice cake mix are also great flavor options!
- A 20-ounce bottle of lemon-lime soda, such as 7 Up, Sprite, or Sierra Mist, is also a popular switch for the butter. My family likes this version as well but prefers the buttery taste over the soda cake mix cobbler.
🍰 More 9 x 13 Pan Desserts
- Pineapple Bars
- Old Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Pecan Frosting
- Super Moist Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mandarin Orange Cake
- Raisin Cake
- Apple Cobbler
Apple Dump Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease your 9 x 13 baking pan with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add the apple pie filling, distributing as an even bottom layer.40 oz apple pie filling
- Pour the boxed yellow cake mix over the apple pie filling. Gently shake or tamp the pan on the counter to spread the cake mix evenly.1 box yellow cake mix
- Next, add the melted butter. Pour the butter over as much of the cake mix surface as possible.¾ cup butter
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45-50 minutes or until golden browned on the top and bubbling around the sides of the pan. Allow the apple dump cake to cool slightly before serving, if desired, for about 15 minutes.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!