These 2 ingredient BBQ Little Smokies are a quick and easy appetizer perfect for game day or whenever you need to feed a crowd! Your favorite BBQ sauce and a package of cocktail weenies is all you need for this savory, flavorful snack!
Appetizers don't get much easier than these BBQ Lit'l Smokies!
I love these little cocktail smokies! They are technically already cooked, so it really just comes down to just heating them up.
This is such an easy snack or appetizer. I've had to throw these 2-ingredient BBQ Little Smokies together last minute on more than one occasion, but you'd never know it!
This is one of those recipes you are going to make time and time again, especially in those instances where you feel spread thin. For added ease, just toss the two ingredients in the crockpot for a couple of hours and, voila!
Trust me, these smoky mini sausages slathered in BBQ sauce are always a crowd-pleaser!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
It's Fast! If you cook them on the stovetop, they only take 10 minutes to cook!
It's Easy! We've said it already but we will say it again, this is as easy as it gets!
Great For Picky Eaters! It's just sausages and BBQ sauce, what's not to like?
As the name implies, you only need 2 ingredients for these BBQ Lit'l Smokies. Remember to pick up some toothpicks (*see note) at the grocery store if serving them on a platter!
- 28 ounces Lit'l Smokies Sausages - Also known as cocktail wieners, cocktail sausages, mini sausages, or cocktail franks. You will need 2 12 to 14-ounce packages, or a single 24 to 28-ounce package.
- 18 ounces BBQ sauce - 1 standard-sized bottle of BBQ sauce, choose your favorite!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
Though this recipe only requires 2 ingredients, you still have a few options if you want to dress these up:
Brown Sugar - Stir in some brown sugar for extra sweetness and a bit of caramelization.
Liquid Smoke - Give the BBQ sauce a nice, smokey flavor by adding a few drops of Liquid Smoke!
Worcestershire - Add a powerful umami flavor by adding a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce!
Honey - If you'd rather not add sugar, you can sweeten things by adding a couple tablespoons of honey!
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
When it comes to cooking, you have options! Below I've listed how to make these on a stovetop or in a crockpot, it's a personal preference.
- Heat and serve. Heat a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Next, add 28 ounces of Lil Smokies and 18 ounces of BBQ sauce. Cook for about 10 minutes until the Lil Smokies are hot, stirring occasionally. Then, remove from heat and serve!
- Heat and serve. First, add 28 ounces of Lit'l Smokies and 18 ounces BBQ sauce to your crockpot. Replace the lid and cook on HIGH for 1-2 hours (just until the Lit'l Smokies are heated through.) Then, transfer the BBQ smokies to a platter or serve them right out of your crockpot.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Stick a toothpick in each sausage to present them as an easy finger food!
- Choose your favorite BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's is my favorite BBQ sauce, but you can use whatever sauce you like. Just remember, the sweetness or heat of this dish comes down to your BBQ sauce choice!
- Try them with cheese! If you are a cheese lover, Hillshire Farms makes Lit'l Smokies stuffed with cheddar cheese. They would be delicious in BBQ sauce!
- These are great for parties! You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed more people.
- Try different sausages! Hillshire Farms offers the "Lit'l Smokies" (or "Little Smokies") in beef, pork, turkey and a number of other flavors and meats. Whichever you choose is up to you!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Leftover BBQ Little Smokies will keep best if placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge. They should be eaten within 3-4 days.
To freeze, store the Lit'l Smokies in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat as normal.
Reheating BBQ Little Smokies
Reheat your smokies by popping them in the microwave for 30-second increments until warm. You can also reheat them in a saucepan over medium heat, just until warm.
🍽️ More Easy Appetizers!
Yes! If you're camping or just grilling out, you can add your mini sausages and BBQ sauce to a disposable foil pan with a lid and let them cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
Of course. You can use any pre-cooked sausages but try to pick a flavor that will compliment BBQ sauce. It is best to slice large sausages before putting them in the crockpot or saucepan.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
2 Ingredient BBQ Little Smokies
- 28 oz Little Smokies sausages (1 large 28-ounce package, or two small 14-ounce packages)
- 18 oz BBQ sauce (1 bottle, Sweet Baby Ray's or your favorite brand)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the Lil Smokies sausage and BBQ sauce. Cook until the Lil Smokies are hot, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, remove from heat and serve.28 oz Little Smokies sausages, 18 oz BBQ sauce
- Add the Lil Smokies sausages and BBQ sauce to your crockpot. Replace the lid and set it to cook on HIGH for 1-2 hours, until the Lil Smokies are hot. Then, they can be transferred to a plate to serve or served directly out of the crockpot.28 oz Little Smokies sausages, 18 oz BBQ sauce
- Lil Smokies are also often referred to as cocktail wieners, cocktail sausages, mini sausages, or cocktail franks.
- Hillshire Farms offers "little smokies" or "lit'l smokies" in multiple flavors (beef and pork) and package sizes. Use 2 12-14 ounce packages, or 1 24-28 ounce package for this recipe.
- Sweet Baby Ray's is my personal favorite BBQ sauce, but you can choose whatever sauce you like the most. The sweetness or heat of this dish comes down to your BBQ sauce choice!
- Use toothpicks to present your BBQ Lil smokies as easy finger food.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!