My incredible, easy-to-make Stuffing Stuffed Chicken Breast is an instant classic the whole family will love having for dinner! Chicken breasts are stuffed with savory Stovetop stuffing and sweet cranberries to make a family meal that's perfect year-round!
Savory, comforting, and delectably flavorful – everyone will love my Stuffing Stuffed Chicken!
The holidays are coming up, but it’s never too early to start eating stuffing! I load delicious, savory Stovetop Stuffing into butterfly-cut chicken breast and bake until golden and delicious.
The stuffing is mixed with dried cranberries, which gives the perfect sweet and savory contrast! Top with delicious gravy, and no one will be able to resist this incredible main course!
This recipe is easy, too! It only takes 45 minutes to make this stunning dish. Since it’s chicken and stuffing combined, all you have to do is make your favorite vegetable as a side and it’s a perfectly filling and nutritious meal!
Butterflying the chicken breasts may seem a little daunting at first—but I’ll have tips to make it super easy! Everyone will be impressed with these stuffing stuffed chicken breasts!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- So Delicious! I’m a HUGE fan of stuffing. That delicious, classic, savory flavor is so perfect in this dish. You’ll want to make this all the time!
- It’s Fast! My stuffing stuffed chicken breasts may seem complicated, but it’s so easy, and comes together in just 45 minutes!
- Full of Holiday Flavor! Whether you’re making this now, during the holidays, or in the middle of summer – this recipe will bring that holiday cheer to your kitchen any time of year! It’s that delicious!
Make something special tonight with my stuffing stuffed chicken breasts! This recipe has a few optional ingredients that you can add to the stuffing—choose whatever you prefer!
- Chicken Broth - You can use homemade, store-bought, or even bouillon cubes or pastes mixed with the directed amount of water. It’s completely up to you!
- Stove Top Stuffing Mix - Who doesn’t adore this delicious stuffing? It makes this recipe so much easier – and not to mention more delicious! You’ll need 1 box or 1 packet in a twin pack.
- Milk - You’ll add this to the stuffing mix to help keep it moist. You can also use an unsweetened dairy free milk or extra chicken broth if you can’t have dairy.
- Butter - Butter will blend with the milk and chicken broth to keep your stuffing extra delicious! It should be melted for this recipe.
- Chicken Breasts - You’ll need 4 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. (See Tips & Recipe Notes)
- Salt & Pepper - The classic seasoning duo, which we’ll use to season the tops of the chicken breasts.
- Onion Powder - This will also be used to season the chicken breasts! You can use onion powder or granulated onion, whatever you happen to have or prefer.
- White Onion - This is optional to add to the stuffing. You can also use yellow onion. (See Tips & Recipe Notes)
- Celery - This is another optional addition for the stuffing. Not everyone is a fan of celery and onion bits in their stuffing, but if you are, feel free to add it! (See Tips and Recipe Notes)
- Dried Cranberries - Also optional, but I highly recommend them! The flavor contrast is EXACTLY what this dish needs!
- Gravy - The last optional ingredient for the dish, but I also recommend it! You can make homemade, use leftovers, or buy a jar or mix from the store!
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
This incredible stuffing stuffed chicken breast is mouthwateringly delicious! It makes 4 servings, but you can easily double the recipe if making for a crowd!
- Preheat and prep pan. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9x13 pan or baking dish with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat chicken broth. Heat 1 ½ cups of chicken broth in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, or heat to a low boil in a small saucepan on the stovetop.
- Mix stuffing ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine 6 ounces of Stove Top Stuffing Mix with heated chicken broth, ½ cup of milk, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Add optional ingredients if desired: ½ cup of diced white onion, ½ cup of diced celery, and/or ½ cup dried cranberries. Mix until well blended and set aside (photo 2).
- Prep chicken breasts. Trim away any fat from 24 ounces (4 medium) of chicken breasts. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts ¾ of the way through the thickest portions of the breasts (butterfly style - photo 1). Do this carefully, so you do not cut all the way through the chicken.
- Stuff chicken breasts. Fill each chicken breasts with ¼ portion of the stuffing mixture and place them into the prepared baking dish (photo 3). Mix together ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of onion powder. Sprinkle the seasoning onto each stuffed breast (photo 4).
- Bake stuffed chicken breasts. Cover the stuffed chicken breasts with a sheet of aluminum foil and then bake in the middle of the center rack of your oven at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature should reach a minimum of 165°F (74°C) before serving.
- Serve! Remove from the oven when done and serve the chicken immediately. Pour gravy over when serving, if desired.
My amazingly flavorful, comforting stuffing stuffed chicken breast is perfect when served for dinner with a delicious green vegetable! Try my crisp sautéed broccolini or my tasty garlic green beans for the perfect accompaniment.
Want a side of bread too? So do I! Try making my delicious, fluffy oat rolls or buy store-bought yeast rolls to soak up all that delicious flavor. Enjoy!
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
Never butterflied a chicken breast before? Here are some tips!
- Make sure you use a plastic cutting board as a surface and start with your hand flat on top of the chicken breast to ensure it remains steady as you cut.
- Use a sharp knife to make cutting through the meat as easy as possible! Be sure not to cut through to the other side!
- If desired, you can cover with plastic cling film and pound or roll the breasts to create an even thickness. Not required, though!
If you’re using celery and onion in your stuffing, sauté them first to make sure they’re fully cooked through!
- My family and I aren’t the biggest fans of celery and onion, but if you love them, they’re a great addition! They can be diced and sliced and thrown in raw.
- However, if you are like me and don't want potentially 'crisp' bites of celery and onion, heat up a skillet. I would recommend sautéing them in ½ a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes until translucent before adding to the stuffing.
Make sure your chicken broth is fully heated through before being added to the stuffing!
- If the broth is cold, it won’t allow the stuffing to expand as quickly. This creates a runny mixture that’ll take much longer for the stuffing to be ready!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
These delicious stuffing stuffed chicken breasts will last in the fridge for up to 4 days! Make sure they’re fully cooled, then stored in an airtight container before going in.
Ready to eat these delicious stuffing stuffed chicken breasts again? The oven will be your best bet with reheating! Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (177°C).
Then place the stuffed chicken breasts in a baking dish and sprinkle with a little water or broth over top and cover with foil. Bake for about 20-30 minutes until warm inside or when it’s reached an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
For this recipe, you can use classic Chicken flavor, Savory Herb, or Traditional Sage! All these flavors are my favorite and would be great to use in this dish!
Yes! If you’d like to make your own gravy for this recipe, you can try my Classic Turkey Gravy recipe! It’s easy and delicious—and you can easily adjust it by using chicken broth to make it perfect for this dish!
Absolutely! Try making this recipe with boneless pork chops for an equally tasty treat! If using pork, you can forgo the gravy, use regular brown gravy, or make gravy using pork broth!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Stuffing Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 6 oz Stove Top Stuffing boxed mix (1 box or 1 packet in a twin pack)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 24 oz chicken breasts (4 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- ½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup white onion (optional, for stuffing - diced, or yellow onion)
- ½ cup celery (optional, for stuffing)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional, for stuffing)
- gravy (optional, for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9x13 pan or baking dish with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat your chicken broth in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, or heat to a low boil in a small saucepan on the stovetop.1 ½ cups chicken broth
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Stove Top Stuffing Mix with heated broth, butter, and milk. Add optional ingredients onion, celery, and/or the dried cranberries if desired. Mix until well combined and set aside.6 oz Stove Top Stuffing boxed mix, ½ cup milk, 2 tablespoon butter, ½ cup white onion, ½ cup celery, ½ cup dried cranberries
- Trim any fat from the chicken breasts, then use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breasts ¾ of the way through the thickest portion of the breasts (butterfly-style). Do this carefully, so that you do not cut all the way through the chicken.24 oz chicken breasts
- Fill each chicken breast with ¼ portion of the stuffing mixture and place them into the prepared baking dish. Mix together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder then sprinkle seasoning onto each stuffed breast.½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Cover the stuffed chicken breasts with a sheet of aluminum foil then bake in the middle of the center rack in your oven at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature should reach a minimum of 165°F (74°C) before serving.
- Remove from the oven when done and serve immediately. Pour gravy over when serving, if desired.gravy
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!