My easy-to-make roasted yellow squash is an amazing side dish of fresh yellow summer squash with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese! Crookneck or straightneck yellow squash is sliced then roasted until tender and delicious! You’ll wonder why you ever made squash any other way!
Roasted yellow squash is healthy, flavorful, and roasted to absolute perfection!
As the weather warms up, I love easy vegetable side dishes that can be served alongside your favorite grilled meats. This roasted yellow squash is the perfect accompaniment to steaks, chicken, or even grilled fish!
I love how the fresh, sweet squash is coasted with savory garlic powder and rich Parmesan cheese in this recipe. It’s an amazing flavor combination that works so well with the squash!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
Quick and Easy! This meal is prepped in 5 minutes and done in 20!
It’s Cheesy! Even those picky eaters won’t be able to resist this veggie side when it’s coated in lots of Parmesan cheese!
Great for Meal Prep! Make this roasted squash ahead of time for your lunch or dinner meal prep!
This easy roasted squash recipe uses rich, savory Parmesan cheese! I recommend using a good-quality aged Parmesan for the best flavor.
- 1 pound Yellow Squash – Use 2 to 3 large or 5 to 6 small yellow summer squash, washed and sliced into ½-inch rounds.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil – I like to use classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) to roast up the squash.
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese – I recommend using freshly grated aged Parmesan for the perfect texture and flavor. If you’re short on time, however, you can pick up pre-grated!
- Seasoning – To season the yellow squash, we’ll use a combination of ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. You can adjust the seasoning if necessary!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
There isn’t any special equipment needed for this delicious roasted squash recipe! All you need to make this dish is a cutting board, knife, and rimmed baking sheet!
- Prepare. Start the squash by preheating your oven to 425°F (218°C). Then, slice 1 pound of yellow squash by slicing into ½-inch rounds or half-moon crescents.
- Season the squash. Next, place your cleaned, sliced squash pieces onto a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Then, sprinkle the squash with 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese and the seasoning: ½ teaspoon each of salt & pepper, and ¼ garlic powder. Toss the squash to coat well, adding extra Parmesan cheese once the squash is well-coated, if desired.
- Roast the squash. Once the squash is seasoned, transfer the baking sheet to the center of your oven’s middle rack and roast at 425°F (218°C) for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the yellow squash has reached your desired level of tenderness.
- Finish and serve. Then, if desired turn the oven to broil on high and broil for 2 to 3 minutes to toast the cheese. When the squash is done to your liking, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Use your favorite yellow squash! You can use crookneck or straightneck squash varieties for this recipe. You can also easily substitute zucchini if preferred!
- Cut the squash into even pieces! Be sure to slice your cleaned yellow squash into slices or half-moon crescents that are about the same size and thickness so that they can cook up evenly.
- Serve these as an appetizer! For a fun and healthy appetizer, toss the squash with extra grated Parmesan, roast, and serve the roasted squash slices with marinara sauce for dipping!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Roasted squash will last in your fridge for about 3 to 5 days when stored in an airtight container.
You can freeze leftover roasted squash for up to 3 months if desired! Transfer the cooled squash to a freezer-safe container or a freezer storage bag. If using a storage bag, be sure to press out as much air as possible.
Reheating Roasted Yellow Squash
To reheat the squash, I recommend using your oven to get the cheese all toasty again! Place the leftover squash in a baking sheet and bake at 425°F (218°C)for 5 to 10 minutes until the squash is heated through and sizzling.
🥒 Other Amazing Vegetable Recipes
Roasted Yellow Squash
- 1 lb yellow squash (2 to 3 large, or 5-6 small yellow squash of the crookneck or straightneck varieties - washed and sliced into ½-inch rounds or crescents)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C) and prep the squash.1 lb yellow squash
- Place the prepared squash onto a rimmed baking sheet then drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and seasoning (salt, pepper, and garlic powder) over the squash, then toss to coat well. *Add extra Parmesan if desired once the squash is well coated.1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Transfer the baking sheet with the squash onto your oven's middle rack and roast at 425°F (218°C) for 12-15 minutes, or until the yellow squash has reached your desired level of tenderness.
- Broil on high setting for 2-3 minutes to toast the cheese if desired, then remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Cut your cleaned yellow squash into slices and half-moon crescents that are relatively equal in size so that they cook up evenly.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. I think these are best (texture-wise) within the first 1-2 days though!
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!