Instant Pot Jambalaya is the easiest way to get your Cajun fix and it can be on the dinner table in minutes! This zesty one-pot meal is a classic Louisiana recipe that features tender chicken, smoky andouille sausage, and juicy shrimp mixed with veggies and white rice. Your Instant Pot jambalaya will turn out flavor-packed and totally delicious!
Cajun Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
If you're looking for an easy one-pot meal that the whole family will love, look no further than instant pot jambalaya. This Louisiana classic can be ready in practically no time at all, making it perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
Chicken thighs, andouille sausage, and shrimp combined with white rice and veggies makes a jambalaya that warms the soul. It tastes like it's been stewing all day even though it's really practically effortless!
These are classic jambalaya ingredients. If you happen to have frozen cooked crawfish and not shrimp, you can easily swap them for each other and the steps to the recipe will be the same!
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - 6 ounces chopped into small pieces, you can also use chicken breast but I prefer the higher fat content of the thighs.
- Andouille Sausage - 8 ounces, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds.
- Garlic - 1 tablespoon minced, see cloves to minced garlic ratio.
- White Onion - 1 large onion either white or yellow, chopped.
- Celery - About 3 medium-sized stalks, diced.
- Green Bell Pepper - 1 large, seeded, core removed, and diced.
- Cajun Seasoning - 3 tablespoons, divided. Use 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon portions.
- Diced Tomatoes - Canned 14.5 ounces, do not drain, fire-roasted tomatoes are a great choice.
- Long-Grain White Rice - 1 cup of white, basmati, or jasmine rice. Do not use instant rice.
- Chicken Broth - 1 ½ cups needed.
- Bay Leaf - 1 or 2 whole bay leaves.
- Salt & Pepper - To taste.
- Frozen Cooked Shrimp - ½ a pound, allow to thaw completely.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
There are a few steps to this recipe, but they are easier than they look. You will need your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, a mixing bowl, and a silicone spatula.
- Prep. Start the SAUTE function on your Instant Pot and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Let it heat up for a few minutes.
- Brown Sausage & Chicken. Once the oil is hot, add 8 ounces of sliced Andouille Sausage cook until browned, remove and set aside. Then add 6 ounces of diced chicken thighs and cook until slightly browned.
- Saute. Next, add 1 diced onion, 3 stalks of chopped celery, and 1 diced bell pepper. Saute for 2 minutes before adding the garlic, then saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir. Now, pour in 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes and juices. Add 1 cup of white rice, 1 ½ cups of chicken broth, 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning, 1 bay leaf, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Cook. After everything is combined, press the CANCEL button. Place the lid to the Instant Pot on and LOCK it. Make sure it is set to SEALED on the release. Then press the Manual setting and set for 10 minutes.
Season Shrimp & Serve
- Season shrimp. Meanwhile, add ½ a pound of thawed frozen shrimp to a mixing bowl and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning over the top. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Add shrimp and sausage. After the 10 minutes is up, carefully do a manual release. Remove the lid and add the thawed cooked shrimp. Stir to combine, also add back the sausage then replace the lid. Allow the shrimp & sausage to warm up in the jambalaya for a few minutes.
- Serve. When your shrimp and sausage are warmed remove the lid, serve, and enjoy.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Cooking time and settings may vary according to the instant pot or pressure cooker brand or model.
- You can use fresh shrimp in this recipe but I highly suggest sauteing them separately (perhaps try my Cajun shrimp) and adding them in when the Jambalaya is finished. If you cook them in the instant pot they will be rock hard and unappealing.
- Add a dash of my herbes de provence for a bit of Creole inspiration.
- Storing: Store jambalaya in a sealed container and refrigerate for 3-4 days max. In a sealed freezer bag, it will last frozen for up to 6 months (be sure to squeeze out all of the air). Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Reheating: Cover just the bottom of a large pan with stock or water, add your leftovers, cover with a lid, and cook over medium high heat for 5-10 minutes.
😋 More Fantastic Recipes To Make!
- Caprese Salad
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Curry Roasted Potatoes
- Prime Rib Soup
- Instant Pot Braised Red Cabbage
Instant Pot Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 6 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs (chopped)
- 8 oz andouille sausage (sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 large white onion (or yellow, chopped)
- 3 medium celery ribs (diced)
- 1 large green pepper (seeded, core removed, and diced)
- 3 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning (divided into 2 tablespoon and 1 tablespoon use store-bought or use mine)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain, fire-roasted tomatoes are a great choice)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (or basmati or jasmine, do not use instant rice)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- ½ lb frozen cooked shrimp (allow to thaw, ½ lb yields 20-25 shrimp count)
- Select the SAUTE function on your instant pot. Add the olive oil and allow it to heat up for a couple of minutes.
- When the olive oil is hot and shimmering, add 8 ounces of sliced Andouille Sausage cook until browned, remove and set aside. Then add the diced chicken and cook until golden and slightly browned.
- Add in the onion, celery, and bell pepper then saute for about 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and continue to saute for an additional minute.
- Next, pour the diced can of tomatoes including the juices, then add the rice, chicken broth, the first 2 tablespoon portion of the Cajun seasoning, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Press the CANCEL button. Place lid on and LOCK, make sure your instant pot is set to SEALED on the release. Press the MANUAL setting, cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the thawed shrimp to a medium-sized mixing bowl and toss with the second 1 tablespoon portion of Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, carefully do a manual pressure release, remove the lid and add in the thawed from frozen cooked shrimp, stir in, also add back in the sausage and cover with the lid. Allow the shrimp & sausage to warm in the instant pot for 2-3 minutes (or until warmed to your satisfaction).
- When your shrimp are warmed remove the lid, serve, and enjoy.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!