This slow-cooked oven-baked beef brisket recipe turned out fabulous after soaking the brisket overnight in a tangy marinade and cooking it low-and-slow the next day! Trim, score, and marinade your brisket to add amazing flavor, then slow roast all that deliciousness in for an easy but amazingly tasty beef dinner!
Oven-Baked Beef Brisket Recipe
This easy-to-make oven method for brisket turns out tasty beef brisket every time! It's a great way to cook your brisket up when the weather is too cold for firing up a smoker too!
How to Bake Brisket in the Oven
To start, trim the excess fat from your brisket portion but try and leave at least ¼ inch of fat. I leave a healthy amount on the beef for flavor while cooking, plus it adds to the drippings that I save for making au jus for the brisket leftover sandwiches that always come after making beef brisket!
Mix Your Marinade
Combine the marinade ingredients: olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika ( or smoked paprika if you have it ), and salt. Place the marinade into a ziploc plastic storage bag or a vacuum seal bag.
Marinate the Brisket
Score both top and bottom surfaces of your brisket to allow the marinade to penetrate the brisket. Then transfer the brisket into the bag with the marinade and seal securely while pushing out any excess air.
Allow the beef brisket to marinate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight ( 8 - 24 hours ).
Oven Bake the Beef Brisket
Cooking the beef brisket low-and-slow ensures plenty of time for a large brisket cut to take on great flavor while also turning out delightfully tender and moist!
- Preheat the oven to 275ºF ( 135ºC ).
- Place your brisket into a roasting pan, Dutch oven, or baking dish. You can pour some of the excess marinade over the brisket if desired. Otherwise, discard the remaining marinade.
- Slow cook for approximately 6 hours depending on your brisket size.
- For super-tender brisket your internal temperature should be higher than the standard internal temperature required for cooked beef. I prefer to cook the brisket until the temp is over 200ºF ( 93ºC ) and the meat probe slides into the meat easily.
- Cooking your brisket to an internal temp of 180ºF ( 82ºC ) to 190ºF ( 88ºC ) will yield tougher brisket meat that almost always disappoints!
- Basting the cooking brisket periodically is up to you. My best technique for adding moisture back to my beef brisket is to wrap in aluminum foil with a couple of tablespoon-size pats of butter for the last hour to finish to about 203ºF ( 95C ).
- Leave your brisket to rest for 20 - 30 minutes after removing it from the oven. Loosely tent the cooked brisket with aluminum foil either in the roasting pan or on a cutting board.
- Slice thin and against the grain to help break up the tough tendencies of this particular beef portion. Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooked Oven Baked Beef Brisket Recipe
- 3-5 lbs beef brisket
Simple Brisket Marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
Make the Marinade
- In a small bowl whisk to combine olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Mix.
- Pour the marinade into a Ziploc bag, or a vacuum bag.
- Add the brisket, seal and push as much air as possible out of the bag.
- Refrigerate overnight for best results if possible but be sure at least a minimum of 4 hours.
Slow Cook the Beef Brisket
- Put brisket in a baking pan.
- Place brisket in the oven set to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Bake for approximately 6 hours.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!