Outrageously delicious, plus a whole list of ways to describe insanely good still doesn't cover just how perfectly seasoned and cooked this Cod En Papillote turns out.
Simply wrapped in a parchment paper envelope then baked in the oven, paired with vegetables or not, and the end result is nothing short of amazing!
This was another superb part of our latest fresh seafood order (thank you Clam Man!) and we couldn't be happier with the quality of our fresh cod fillets! We used the other half of our cod for Lemon Butter Baked Cod (coming soon!) and while both were excellent, I am always partial to the cod en papillote. The flavor is out of this world delicious with both, but the cod is really the star of this dish!
After all of the work involved with the other seafood items from our order, this cod was a refreshing change. It is always so quick and easy. We used julienned leek and carrots, and some fennel (fronds too!) as a bed underneath the cod fillet. A sprinkle of salt and pepper, and a bit of olive oil, then topped with a few slices of lemon...and that's all it takes!
Wrap one fillet per parchment paper envelope. You can add some white wine too, but as you can see there is plenty of liquid in our paper (the steam and all of the liquids are also really visible in the video when I show opening the envelope). The video also shows the wrapping technique 🙂 Enjoy!
Cod En Papillote
- 12 oz cod fillets (2 4-6 oz cod fillets)
- 1 large carrot (julienned)
- 1 stalk leek (julienned)
- 1 cup fennel (finely cut, plus 2-3 fronds per fillet)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 large lemon (thinly sliced for 6 slices)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a sheet of parchment paper (rectangle, about the size of the baking sheet) with the curled sides down on the baking sheet.
- Place the first half of the sliced leek, carrots, fennel, thyme and fennel fronds in the center of the parchment paper sheet, then place a cod fillet on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and top with 3 thin slices of lemon.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil around the cod and vegetables, then place a second sheet of parchment paper over the top of everything (cod and vegetables) roughly matching the size of the base sheet of parchment paper.
- Fold the first corner in a triangular shape toward the center, then make progressive smaller triangular folds working one direction (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) until you reach the beginning point of your folds. (see video)
- Press down on the folds with something heavy (I grabbed my bottle of olive oil as it was nearby) all the way around the envelope. Repeat with your second half of the vegetables and the second cod fillet (or however many fillets you are preparing).
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and either open and carefully remove the entire stack of vegetables and cod, or serve in the envelope. *There will be a large amount of steam released when opened, slit the top open first to release the steam or open a side first.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!