This hearty Beef with Garlic Sauce is an easy stir fry dinner with tender pieces of beef and sliced mushrooms in a simple garlic sauce! It’s an easy 20 minute dinner for any night of the week! Serve with rice or fried noodles and some stir fried or steamed vegetables for a quick meal!
Beef with Garlic Sauce Recipe
I love this super simple Chinese restaurant takeout style beef with garlic sauce because it is so quick and easy to make in no time at all! There are no special ingredients required, everything needed is almost always on hand in my pantry!
It’s a hearty beef entree to enjoy with your family, and pairs so well with a variety of sides! Add some broccoli for a beef and broccoli style dinner, or serve with steamed or stir fried mixed vegetables.
If you plan on serving with rice, be sure to get the rice started ahead of time. This stir fried garlic beef will be prepped, cooked, and ready to enjoy faster than your rice!!
How To Make Garlic Beef Stir-Fry
Prepare one pound of flank steak or top sirloin by removing any white muscle membrane, then slicing into thin slices cut against the grain ( or perpendicular to the lines of muscle fibers ). Place sliced beef in a large bowl.
Sprinkle the sliced beef with a half a tablespoon of cornstarch and toss to coat the beef evenly. Set aside.
Bring a wok, large skillet or non-stick frying pan with the tablespoon of olive oil or cooking oil to medium high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add a tablespoon of finely minced or crushed garlic and sliced mushrooms ( white button mushrooms, cremini or shiitake mushrooms ) to the heated oil.
Cook for about 1 – 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic is lightly golden and fragrant. Add the sliced beef to your wok or skillet, stir to coat and continue cooking over medium high heat until the beef is about half way cooked. Some pink should still be visible, with golden browned edges.
At this half way point, add the soy sauce, garlic powder and black pepper then stir to coat the ingredients again. Continue to cook an additional 1 – 2 minutes until the meat is completely browned.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.
Beef with Garlic Sauce
- 1 lb flank steak (or top sirloin - thinly sliced, against the grain)
- 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 Tbsp garlic (finely minced or crushed)
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced - white button mushrooms, cremini or shiitake)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 green onions (sliced, optional, garnish)
- sesame seeds (optional, garnish)
- Place thinly sliced beef in a large bowl, then sprinkle the cornstarch over the beef. Toss the beef until lightly coated with the cornstarch, set aside.
- Heat a wok, large skillet, or non-stick frying pan over medium high heat with the olive oil. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir frequently and cook until the garlic is golden and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced beef and continue to cook over medium high heat until the beef is about half way cooked. Add the soy sauce and sprinkle garlic powder and black pepper over the cooking beef. Stir to coat and continue to cook until the meat is completely browned.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Serve over rice or fried noodles, garnished with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!