I love a simple Tuna and Tomato Melt Sandwich, something about the tomatoes just makes it all better! This sandwich is just like an open faced tuna melt, but we’re going to put the ciabatta roll back together for an easy to carry sandwich as I tend to walk around the house while eating anything other than dinner.
Broil the top too, to toast it and make your tuna and tomato melt sandwich nice and crispy!
Start out by turning your oven to broil, use the low broil setting if you have that option, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (for ease of cleanup). In a small bowl, combine the drained can of albacore tuna, mayonnaise, diced pickle, lemon juice (optional), dill weed, salt, and pepper.
Spread half of the mixture onto one of the roll bottoms and then the other half on the second roll. Add cheddar cheese slices to each, and 2-3 slices of the Roma tomato to each sandwich.
Broil the tuna, cheese, and tomato covered bottoms as well as the top halves of the roll for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You may need to remove the top half of the rolls earlier than the bottoms, if they start to brown too much.
Remove the sandwiches from the oven and add a slice of green leaf lettuce to each, topping them off with the other half of the rolls. Serve immediately.
What is the best bread for a tuna melt sandwich?
You need a quality bread that can hold up to the heat and your toppings, I tend to go with ciabatta or a great rye bread for a great sandwich!
What type of tuna?
Simply put, the better the ingredients the better the sandwich. Albacore is the premium canned tuna so go with that!
Tuna and Tomato Melt Sandwich
- 2 ciabatta rolls (or sandwich rolls)
- 1 4 oz can albacore tuna (in water, drained)
- 2-3 Tbsp mayonnaise (more if you like the tuna creamier)
- 1 pickle (diced)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 tsp dill weed
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 roma tomato (sliced thinly)
- 2 leaves green leaf lettuce
- Preheat your oven to broil, use the low setting if you have that option. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the drained tuna, mayonnaise, diced pickle, lemon juice (optional), dill weed, salt, and pepper. Spread 1/2 of the tuna mixture onto the bottoms of two ciabatta rolls, add cheddar cheese slices, and top with 2-3 slices of the Roma tomato on each roll.
- Set all four pieces of the ciabatta roll (tops and tuna topped bottoms) on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and broil for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven, top each sandwich with a piece of the green leaf lettuce and close with the top half of the roll. Serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!