These Red White N Blue Mini Cake Batter Meringues are absolutely one of my favorite popper sized cookies! Bright, colorful, and fun…and best of all, they taste like cake frosting in cookie form! Get your patriotic themed party on with these conversation piece meringues!
Get the family involved, let the kids do the piping…they’ll have a blast!
To get started, preheat your oven to 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) if your oven will go that low…if not, go as low as it allows and reduce the baking time. Since many ovens will only go as low as 250 degrees F (121 degrees C), check the meringues at 35 minutes and turn off the oven when they are completely dry.
Making the Mini Cake Batter Meringues…
In a bowl that will set nicely on your medium saucepan, without letting the bowl bottom touch your simmering water (about 1 inch of water, simmering) combine the egg whites and sugar. Whisk the egg white and sugar combination until the sugar is completely dissolved. Transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer, or continue with your bowl and a hand mixer. If using a stand mixer, attach the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed gradually adding the cake batter mix.
Once all of the cake batter mix is incorporated, add the vanilla extract and increase the speed until the meringue forms stiff peaks.
Separate the batter into three portions and color one blue and another red, then transfer each into their own pastry bag fitted with a star tip of your choice.
Pipe the meringue onto your parchment paper lined baking sheets about an inch apart and an inch in width and height.
Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) for 50 minutes or until completely dry in appearance.
Turn off the oven and crack the door open, allowing the meringues to cool completely before removing them from the oven.
Red White N Blue Mini Cake Batter Meringues
- 4 egg whites (large eggs)
- 1 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16.25 oz cake batter (we used vanilla)
- blue & red food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Simmer some water in a medium saucepan (about 1 inch of water), and using a bowl large enough to safely set well above the simmering water, combine the egg whites and sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to your stand mixer bowl, or continue with a hand mixer.
- Using your stand mixer whisk attachment, beat on low and gradually add the cake batter mix. Once all of the cake batter mix has been incorporated, add the vanilla extract and increase the speed gradually until the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Separate the meringue batter into three equal portions, and add the food coloring to the blue and red batch before transferring to pastry bags fitted with your preferred star tips.
- Pipe the meringues onto the parchment paper lined baking sheets with about 1 inch between each of them, and about 1 inch in width and height. Bake in preheated oven at 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) for 50 minutes, then turn the oven off and crack the oven door open allowing the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the oven.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!