How to harden no-bake cookies: The best tips and tricks to fix your no-bake cookies so that they are perfect every time! From ingredients to boiling times (and even some recipes) here's how to troubleshoot these tasty treats! You'll never have to worry about wet and gooey no-bake cookies again!
How To Make No-Bake Cookies Harden
No-bake cookies are a simple and fun treat that doesn't require turning on the oven! However, you may have found that your cookies seem gooey, mushy, or wet and aren't hardening as they should.
While these recipes are meant to be quick and easy, there may have been some small details that were overlooked that caused them not to turn out properly. Don't worry, these are all simple fixes, and you will be a master of making no-bake cookies in no time!
Take a look at my ultimate guide to making no-bake cookies for all of the best tips, tricks, and recipes!
What Are No-Bake Cookies
No-bake cookies are exactly what the name implies: they are cookies that aren't baked in the oven! Recipes will vary, but they are typically made up of some combination of sugar, milk, butter, oatmeal, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
While some recipes don't use heat, many typical no-bake cookies are still heated for a short time on the stovetop.
How Long Do No-Bake Cookies Take To Harden
It's important that you wait long enough for the cookies to set before assuming that you've done something wrong.
If left on the counter at room temperature, it should take approximately 30-45 minutes for your no-bake cookies to be fully set. You could also pop them into the fridge to speed up the process so they harden in about 15 minutes.
Why Don't My No-Bake Cookies Harden
Since no-bake cookie recipes are almost always pretty simple, any issues you may have are usually due to either boiling the mixture too long or not long enough.
While dry and crumbly no-bake cookies are due to boiling for too long, gooey cookies that aren't set up are because the mixture wasn't boiled enough.
Additionally, humidity levels could also affect your no-bake cookies. This depends on the recipe and ingredients used, but many people avoid making no-bake cookies on rainy days or with high humidity levels.
How To Fix No-Bake Cookies That Don't Set Up
Make sure you are following the recipe exactly as written, and avoid substituting ingredients. This is especially true regarding the types of oats being used, as they could affect the time it takes for the cookies to set up.
Additionally, it's important that all of your ingredients are properly measured. If you use too few oats, the cookies will be too thin. Double-check your amounts when doubling or tripling a batch!
Butter, milk, and sugar are melted and brought to a boil. Once it reaches a full rolling boil, set a timer for 1 full minute. Make sure the timer does not start until it is at a full rolling boil!
If you find that your cookies are still not hardening, you can try boiling for just a tad longer (but I always have success with one minute exactly).
If you struggle to master the timing for boiling your mixture, you could always use a candy thermometer! The cookies should reach 230ºF (110ºF) before taking the pan off the heat.
Popping your no-bake cookies into the fridge will speed up the hardening process. They should firm up in about 15 minutes when refrigerated.
Tips For Making The Best No-Bake Cookies
- Use the correct kind of oats as listed in the recipe. They are crucial to the chewy texture and thickness of the cookies!
- If your cookies are still soft after they have set, pop them into the fridge. Ingredients such as peanut butter or butter could still be soft at room temperature, so the refrigerator will help to firm them up.
- If you boiled everything correctly, but the mixture is too thin, you can add more oats to try and thicken it up.
- Boil your cookie mixture over medium-high heat to prevent burning them.
>>>>See all of my recipes HERE<<<<
Now that you know how to harden no-bake cookies, which ones are you the most excited to make first? Leave a comment down below and let me know!
🍪 Best No-Bake Cookie Recipes
- No-Bake Butterscotch Cookies - Sweet butterscotch cookies that only need 6 ingredients.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies - No-bake cookies that combine two incredibly popular flavors!
- Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Cookies - Cool mint and sweet chocolate make this treat perfect for winter!
- Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies - Chewy cookies loaded with creamy peanut butter!
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies - Decadent chocolate cookies that don't use any peanut butter!
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cookies - Perfect for fall, these cookies are packed with canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
How To Harden No-Bake Cookies: Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies Without Peanut Butter (+Tips & Tricks)
- 2 c sugar
- ½ c butter (1 stick - salted)
- ½ c milk
- 4 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 c oatmeal (use quick oats, not old fashioned or steel cut oats)
- Combine the butter, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high to high heat (enough to bring the syrup to a rapid boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning or boiling over!
- Once the syrup is at a full rolling boil, stir and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa, stir until the syrup is smooth. Add the quick oats and stir until evenly coated with the syrup.
- Drop tablespoon sized portions onto waxed paper, use the back of a spoon to make cookie shaped (rather than a no bake cookie mound) if desired. Allow to set up for one hour.
Equipment You May Need
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think: