From my earliest childhood memories comes this Homemade German Gingerbread Spice Blend (Lebkuchengewurz), a treasured recipe from my Grandma Janet (Granny Janny) that has been saved to memory for 3 decades and finally shared! I have all of my Grandma’s Gingerbread molds now, from copper and aluminum to earthenware, that used to decorate the walls of her kitchen. Every year the treasured molds were brought down for Christmas cookie baking…
Now those Gingerbread molds are carefully hung on the walls of my kitchen, and this year we are finally committing one of her favorite Gingerbread Spice Mix recipes to paper!
We will be sharing many recipes that call for this Gingerbread Spice Blend, but for now we hope you try it out in our festive and tasty Eggnogg (or Gingerbread!) Meringue Cookies!
Last Updated: December 19th, 2017
Homemade German Gingerbread Spice Blend (Lebkuchengewurz)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (generous tsp or + a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp ground star anise
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Combine all of the spices: cinnamon, cloves, allspice, coriander, green cardamom, ginger, star anise, and nutmeg. Use in your favorite recipe(s) and store any remaining gingerbread spice blend in an airtight container. *We store our spice blend in one of our spice jars, in the cabinet, for use next year. Keep in a cool, dark place and the spice blend will last up to one year.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!