These ground beef casseroles are the perfect meal for any day of the week because they are so easy and delicious! This list of casseroles covers such a wide range of flavor profiles from pasta to Mexican to even tater tots, so there is sure to be something for everyone! I always make sure to keep some ground beef in the freezer just in case I need to make one of these casseroles in a pinch on a busy weekday!
The Best Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
Ground beef is one of those ingredients that everyone always seems to have on hand. When you combine versatile ground beef with the homey, comfort-food goodness of casseroles, you are sure to have a winning dish that your entire family will love!
I’ve rounded up my list of the absolute best ground beef casserole recipes for you to try out! From tried-and-true classics to more unique recipes, I know you will find something so delicious that you will have everyone begging for more!
- The Best Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- 1. Ground Beef Casserole
- 2. Ground Beef Mexican Casserole
- 3. Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- 4. Walking Taco Casserole
- 5. Beef and Cheese Casserole
- 6. Doritos Casserole
- 7. Béchamel Pasta Bake
- 8. Pastel de Choclo
- 9. Tater Tot Hamburger Casserole
- 10. Hamburger Pie Casserole
- 📋 Recipe
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes: Easy Ground Beef Casserole (+More Great Dinner Ideas!)
- Ingredients US CustomaryMetric
- Equipment You May Need
- 💬 Comments
1. Ground Beef Casserole
This recipe for a ground beef casserole is perfect for those busy weekday evenings when you just need a quick and easy meal to make. This dish brings the classic flavors of pasta, beef, cheese, and marinara, and turns into a warm, delicious casserole!
You can trade out the penne pasta for any pasta that you have on hand and be ready to go! This casserole is so simple and easy to make, but is still full of flavor!
2. Ground Beef Mexican Casserole
This family-friendly meal combines all the flavors of some yummy Tex-Mex tacos and puts them into an easy-to-make casserole! This hearty meal will fill you up and you’ll still have enough for some leftovers!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is just how versatile it is! You can add and subtract any of the toppings to customize this meal to what you and your family like the best!
3. Mexican Cornbread Casserole
My family would love to eat Mexican food every day of the week. This Mexican cornbread casserole brings taco-spiced beef and layers it with some golden, fluffy cornbread for a crowd-pleasing meal!
This easy casserole does not need any side dishes to accompany it as it is a whole meal by itself! Dress it up or down as much as you like by customizing the toppings- add jalapeños or red pepper flakes to kick up the spice!
4. Walking Taco Casserole
If you have never heard of a walking taco, you are missing out! This very popular state fair food is a combination of all of your favorite taco toppings and layered onto some chips so you can take it on the go!
This recipe is the same thing but transformed into a satisfying casserole that you can whip up without having to make a trip to the fair! Switch up the chips for some Doritos or Fritos to adjust it to your family’s specific tastes!
5. Beef and Cheese Casserole
If your family loves Italian food, then this is the perfect casserole for you! This beef and cheese casserole brings the zesty Italian flavors to the table with some spices and marinara layered between penne pasta!
If you have family visiting or a large group of friends, just double or triple the recipe and you can easily feed a crowd! This hearty and savory casserole will have all of your guests asking for more!
6. Doritos Casserole
This fun, tasty casserole adds crunchy Doritos chips with ground beef and gooey cheese to make the ultimate kid-approved meal! The toppings on this casserole are easily customizable so you can add or remove things to fit your needs!
This is also the perfect dish to let your young children help you prepare. Kids will love assisting with layering the chips, cheese, beef, and a variety of toppings together to make a meal they will surely be proud of!
7. Béchamel Pasta Bake
As soon as you make this hearty, rich casserole, your family will be asking for it over and over again! This unique pasta bake combines a warm, creamy béchamel sauce with pasta, beef, and seasonings to make a truly delectable dish!
This is the perfect family dinner for when you’re getting tired of the same dishes over and over again and are ready to mix things up! This irresistible casserole is nothing like you’ve ever had before!
8. Pastel de Choclo
This iconic dish from Chile is a great way to mix up your typical family dinner ideas. The textural contrast between the creamy corn and crispy edges makes this casserole extra tasty!
Pastel de choclo uses the sweetness from the corn and raisins combined with the savory flavor from the meat to make a truly irresistible dinner! This dish will certainly wow your family and friends!
9. Tater Tot Hamburger Casserole
What do kids love more than tater tots or hamburgers? Nothing! Combine them to get this cheesy, crispy casserole that both kids and adults will love!
This dinner idea is so quick and easy that it is one of my go-to recipes for when I need to make a last-minute meal! If you don’t want to be spending your whole evening cooking dinner in the kitchen, this casserole will be perfect as the prep work will only take you about 10 minutes!
10. Hamburger Pie Casserole
There is nothing better than a warm, hearty casserole that the entire family will enjoy! My hamburger pie casserole is a real crowd-pleaser as it combines beef, mashed potatoes, cheese, and some veggies to make a flavorful, comforting meal!
I love how fast and simple it is to prep this casserole before just popping it into the oven to let it bake! You could even prepare it in advance and freeze it to make it even easier on those busy weeknights!
Nothing brings the whole family to the dinner table like one of these ground beef casseroles straight out of the oven. Let us know which recipe you plan on trying in the comments below!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Ground Beef Casserole Recipes: Easy Ground Beef Casserole (+More Great Dinner Ideas!)
- 1 lb penne pasta (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef (I prefer 80/20)
- 1 cup onion (chopped, or ½ teaspoon onion powder or ½ tablespoon of dried minced onion)
- ½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ cups marinara (12 ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper (to taste, plus more salt for the pasta water)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (4.5 ounces (3 ounces per cup using a medium grate), shredded)
- Move a rack in your oven to the middle position and preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C). Grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne for 10 minutes. It should be just shy of al dente because it will cook more while baking and you don't want it to get mushy.1 lb penne pasta
- Meanwhile, add the ground beef and onion (*see note) to a skillet over medium-high heat. Break up the meat as it browns for 10 minutes. A few minutes before the meat is done browning, add the minced garlic. *Spoon out any excess fat as needed.1 lb ground beef, 1 cup onion, ½ teaspoon garlic
- Next, mix in the marinara sauce and let it heat until warmed through. Taste the sauce and beef mixture and add salt & pepper as needed.1 ½ cups marinara, ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper
- Once the pasta is ready, drain the water and pour the pasta into your prepared baking dish. Pour the marinara and beef mixture into the dish and toss to combine. Sprinkle a layer of cheddar cheese over the top (*see note).1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- Bake, uncovered, at 400°F (204°C) for 15 minutes or until all of the cheese is nice and melted (*see note). Serve immediately.
- I opted for dried minced onion and added it to the beef after 5 minutes of cooking (it should take 6-8 minutes total to brown ground beef) before draining the excess fat so that it could take on the pan juices to rehydrate.
- When salting the pasta water, use 1 ½ tablespoons of salt per pound of pasta with 3-4 quarts (12-16 cups) of water. For instance, I use 12 cups of water with 1 ½ tablespoons of salt.
- If you want your casserole extra cheesy, mix in an additional ½ cup of cheese with the pasta and sauce before you top it with the remaining cheese.
- Optionally, you may pop the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cook time to brown the cheese some.
- Storing: Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Leftovers can be frozen in heavy-duty freezer bags or a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Reheat individual portions in the microwave or the entire casserole in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!