This easy saltine toffee candy bar recipe is so simple, and no one will know they are eating toffee bars that are based on saltine crackers! These crunchy toffee bars simply melt in your mouth and satisfy all of your cravings for sweet, salty, caramel and chocolate…yummy!!
Easy Saltine Toffee Candy Recipe
Our family loves these at any time of the year, but they are extra fun to give away during the Christmas holidays.
You only need 5 ingredients, unless you choose to omit the nuts…saltine crackers, butter, light brown sugar, milk chocolate chips, and sliced almonds (or chopped). To start, preheat your oven 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Butter the aluminum foil or parchment paper and place the saltine crackers, salt side up, in rows until the entire surface of the baking sheet is covered.
Combine the butter and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil at medium high heat.
Allow the sugar and butter to boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then pour directly over the saltine crackers on the baking sheet.
Use a spatula or spoon to cover the saltines evenly with the sugar mixture, pushing the caramelized layer all the way to the baking sheet edges.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for about 6 minutes or until the caramel starts bubbling, then remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the caramel layer.
Let the chocolate chips melt, about 5 minutes, then using a spatula spread the chocolate layer making sure to cover the caramel layer completely and to push the chocolate all the way out the edges of the baking sheet.
Sprinkle sliced almonds on to the chocolate (or your choice of nuts, or even Heath bar toffee bits) and gently press them into the chocolate layer.
Allow to cool at room temperature completely, then transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes before breaking apart the toffee.
*These toffee bars keep best when stored in an airtight container, but will do much better if also refrigerated!
Easy Saltine Toffee Candy Recipe
- 4 oz saltine crackers (2 + bags in a standard box)
- 1 c (227 g) butter (salted, 2 sticks)
- 1 c (175 g) light brown sugar
- 11.5 oz (326 g) milk chocolate chips
- 1 c (85 g) almonds (sliced, slivered or chopped - or your choice of nuts)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and butter the surface. Place saltine crackers, salt side up, in rows on buttered surface until baking sheet is fully covered.
- Combine butter and sugar in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook at a rolling boil for 3 minutes, stir frequently. Remove butter and sugar mixture from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Use a spatula or your spoon to spread to the edges of the baking sheet if needed. Bake for about 6 minutes (the caramel layer will be bubbling), then remove from the oven.
- Add chocolate chips, sprinkling over the hot caramel layer and allow to melt for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate with a spatula, pushing all the way to the edges of the baking sheet and covering the crackers and caramelized layer completely.
- Sprinkle your choice of nut topping over melted chocolate, gently press into the chocolate for best results. Allow to cool at room temperature completely.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before breaking apart. Peel up aluminum foil or parchment paper to begin breaking toffee. Store in an airtight container(s).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!