Oh how I love sugar cookies! This double sugar cookies recipe is a great option when I don't feel like rolling out sugar cookies, and they're super soft! Think Lofthouse brand sugar cookies soft. The soft texture of these cookies is absolutely perfect for making sugar cookie sandwiches. Add some fun colors and make colorful tie-dye holiday themed cookie sandwiches!
Double Sugar Cookies Recipe
These super soft sugar cookies are my go-to recipe for drop sugar cookies. They're also my favorites for using for as sugar cookie sandwiches ( more about these fabulous pastel colored Easter sugar cookie sandwiches below ).
My double sugar cookies are so soft that rolling them out wouldn't work out well, so simply form them into ball shape and drop them onto your baking sheet! I usually press them down slightly using my fingertips for a more consistent shape. However, leaving them shaped as a ball works wonderfully!
How To Make Double Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
Follow the recipe below to make your super soft double sugar cookies dough. Split the dough once combined and before refrigerating.
Divide the dough into the amount of portions that you would like to color. I am using three colors for my pastel Easter sugar cookie sandwiches.
Use a spoon to add small portions of each color into one hand, then roll the dough into a ball ( combining the colors ) approximately 1 - 1 ¼ inch in size. Tamp the rolled dough ball down slightly into a flattened disk with your fingertips or the bottom of a cup.
Bake as directed at 350 ºF ( 175 ºC ) for 8 - 10 minutes. Repeat until all of your dough is used. *I do recommend returning the dough to your refrigerator between batches to keep it from getting too warm.
Once all of your double sugar cookies are baked, make up a single batch of my vanilla buttercream frosting to use as the filling. The buttercream can be spread onto the baked surface of a cookie using an offset spatula, a butter knife, or piped with either an open round tip or an open star tip.
Press a second cookie, baked side down, onto the buttercream frosting to make your sugar cookie sandwiches. Happy Easter!!
Double Sugar Cookies
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine softened butter and both sugars (confectioners and granulated). Beat sugars and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat into the creamed butter and sugar until creamy. Add vegetable oil and vanilla, combine thoroughly until smooth (will resemble a very wet batter).
- Add the dry ingredients (salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and flour). Combine until all flour is absorbed. The dough will be very smooth and soft.
- Refrigerate and chill the dough for at least one hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place rounded cookie dough balls on your baking sheet, then press them down slightly by hand or with the floured bottom of a cup.
- Make a test batch of 2-3 cookies, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time to thicken the cookie dough (if needed).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom edges are just starting to get golden colored. Start checking at 8 minutes to ensure that your cookies do not over-bake.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!