These Christmas Cake Batter Meringues are absolutely one of my favorite festive holiday cookies! Bright, colorful, fun, and easy to make, the mini meringues taste like cake frosting in cookie form!
Christmas Cake Batter Meringues
My delightfully tasty cake batter meringues are a super easy version of homemade meringues! You can make them in any color combination with a box of vanilla cake mix, but they're a favorite red, green, and white treat in my Christmas cookie baskets!
How to Make Cake Batter Meringues
To get started, preheat your oven to 175ºF ( 79ºC ) if your oven will go that low. If not, go as low as it allows and reduce the baking time.
Since many ovens will only go as low as 250ºF ( 121ºC ), check the meringues at 35 minutes and turn off the oven when they are completely dry.
- In a bowl that will sit nicely on your medium saucepan, without letting the bowl bottom touch your simmering water ( about 1 inch of water, simmering ) combine the egg whites and sugar.
- Whisk the egg white and sugar combination until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer, or continue with your bowl and a hand mixer. If using a stand mixer, attach the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed gradually adding the cake batter mix.
- Once all of the vanilla cake mix is incorporated, add the vanilla extract and increase the speed until the meringue forms a stiff dough.
- Separate the batter into three portions and color one green and another red. Transfer each into their own pastry bag fitted with a star tip of your choice. *I used a large, open star tip.
- Pipe the meringue onto your parchment paper-lined baking sheets about an inch apart and an inch in width and height.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175ºF ( 79ºC ) for 50 minutes or until completely dry in appearance. The meringues should not be tacky to the touch either.
- Turn off the oven and crack the door open, allowing the meringues to cool completely before removing them from the oven.
Serve once your Christmas cake batter meringues are cooled and enjoy!
Christmas Cake Batter Meringues
- 4 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16.25 oz cake batter (15.25 - 16.25 oz box of vanilla cake mix)
- green & red gel food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Simmer some water in a medium saucepan (about 1 inch of water). Using a bowl large enough to safely set well above the simmering water, combine the egg whites and sugar then whisk until the sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to your stand mixer bowl, or continue with a hand mixer.
- Using your stand mixer whisk attachment, beat on low and gradually add the cake batter mix.
- Once all of the cake mix has been incorporated, add the vanilla extract and increase the speed gradually until the meringue forms a thick stiff batter.
- Separate the meringue batter into three equal portions, and add the food coloring to the green and red batch before transferring to pastry bags fitted with your preferred star tips.
- Pipe the meringues onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheets with about 1 inch between each of the meringues, and about 1 inch in width and height. Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) for 50 minutes, then turn the oven off and crack the oven door open allowing the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the oven.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!