My easy to make Cheddar Bacon Chive biscuits are loaded with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and fresh chives making them perfect to serve with breakfast or dinner! The savory flavors are found in each bite of these tender, flaky buttermilk biscuits!!
Cheddar Bacon Chive Biscuits Recipe
Loaded with cheese, bacon, and chives these biscuits are perfect for both breakfast and dinner! Serve them buttered alongside your meal, and enjoy their rich and savory flavors.
It is totally time for me to get some new chives growing here after our move. It's been three years here in the newer house, but you know how life can be and how easy it is to get distracted! But I do love chives, and really enjoy cooking with them!
How To Make Buttermilk Biscuits with Cheese, Bacon & Chives
Start out by preheating your oven to 450ºF (232ºC) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cook the bacon slices in a medium skillet or frying pan over medium high heat, turning them about halfway through the cooking time of 8-10 minutes (or until nice and crispy).
Set the cooked bacon on a small plate that is lined with paper towels, using the overhanging paper towel edges to press down on the top of the bacon to wick away the excess bacon grease. Set aside.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, including the all-purpose flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt.
Add the cold, cubed butter and cut it in using a food processor, pastry cutter, or two butter knives in a criss-cross motion until a roughly pea sized crumble is achieved. Once the butter is worked in, add the grated cheddar cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, and chopped fresh chives. *Dried chives also work, but do not have the 'bite' or colorful appearance of the fresh version.
Add buttermilk ( or buttermilk substitute ) and stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated into a soft dough, being careful to not over-mix the dough. Then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured working surface. Knead the dough 3 to 4 times, or until it comes together and does not stick to your hands ( as much ).
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large rectangle that is approximately 1 ¼ inch in thickness. Cut out your biscuits using either a 2 or 2 ½ inch biscuit or cookie cutter, smooth or scalloped edges. Transfer the biscuits to your prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch spacing between the biscuits.
Place the baking sheet of biscuits into your freezer to chill for 15 minutes before baking. Remove from the freezer after the 15 minutes and transfer to the preheated oven.
Bake at 450ºF ( 232ºC ) for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven when the biscuits are fully cooked and serve immediately, or place in a bowl or basket wrapped in a towel. This will keep your biscuits warm and tender until served. Enjoy!
Cheddar Bacon Chive Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook bacon slices over medium high heat in a medium skillet or frying pan until crispy (about 8-10 minutes), turning half way through cooking. Set aside on a small paper towel lined plate lined when the bacon is fully cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt. Whisk until the ingredients are evenly distributed in the flour, then add the cold, cubed butter.
- Cut the butter into your dry ingredients using a food processor, pastry cutter, or butter knives cut against each other in a criss-cross motion. Continue until you have a roughly pea-sized crumble.
- Add the grated cheese, crumbled bacon, and fresh chopped chives (or dried chives). Stir to distribute through the dlour mixture.
- Stir in the buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute) until the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and a soft dough is formed.
- Turn your biscuit dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough 3-4 times. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large rectangle, approximately 1 ¼ inch in thickness.
- Cut out the biscuits using a 2-2 ½ inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, then transfer to your prepared baking sheet. Leave about 1 inch of space between the biscuits. Transfer the baking sheet with biscuits to your freezer and chill for 15 minutes before baking.
- Transfer the biscuits from the freezer to the oven and bake at 450 degrees F (232 degrees C) for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or wrap in a towel to keep warm before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!